Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Manifold Removal/ Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:44 PM

Manifold Removal/ Header Install

I would like to know the best (easiest) way to install a pair of emissions compatible Pacesetter LTs.

I am doing this at my school's shop so I am going to use a lift.

Thanks guys
Old 05-03-2007, 06:53 PM

First step would be to drench all the old hardware with PB Blaster and let it sit for awhile. You'll have to remove the starter, alternator, steering linkage, plugs, wires, and it is advised you remove the coolant temp sensor in the drivers side head to prevent snagging and breaking it. This would be a good time to put in some fresh plugs and also consider doing an over-the-valve cover spark plug wire setup.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

I got my headers in without removing the steering linkage. I actually did disconnect it, but it really proved to be unnecessary to do so. Unless the pacesetters don't have the slip-fit first primary, you should be able to get them in without undoing the steering linkage. There are two metal fins that stick up off of the knuckle that rub on the second primary, you have to bend them in towards the steering shaft to keep it from happening. They're hidden by that black plastic cover.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 PM

I'm pretty sure pacesetters do not have the slip fit primary like the hookers do.( but I have been wrong before) There is no easy way to do this. Take your time and enjoy it.

Some tips that may help.

Remove starter, alternator and oil dipstick tube. Get o2 sensor extensions (the straight kind not the block kind) unbolt the steering linkage if there is no slip fit. Be prepared to unbolt the engine from the motor mount and jack it up a few inches to slip that passenger side in. Probably going to want to do new spark plugs and wires (I suggest OVC setup) Be careful when putting the headers in so that you do not snap the temp sensor in the head. Get good header gaskets.

Good luck and hope it helps,

~Jim~
Old 05-04-2007, 02:16 AM

No, the Pacesetters don't have the slip fit primary tube like the Hookers.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:25 AM

How should I remove the dipstick? I have read that its a big pain

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 05-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1997FormulaBird

Haha, good luck with that. Make sure you unbolt the bracket first. I grabbed it with some vice grips right down by the block and just twisted back and forth until it came up a little bit. There's a small lip on the dipstick tube that you can put a screwdriver on and tap it up out of the block with. There's about 4 inches worth of tube down in the oil pan, so it's no fun.

Getting it back in isn't any fun either. Once you take it out, immediately get a wire wheels and grind the paint away on the tube. Immediately after that, throw the dipstick tube in the freezer and leave it there until you're ready to put it back in. When you put it back in, you may have to use that bracket and a big screwdriver or something similar to knock it back down into the hole.

It took me about an hour to get it out and another hour of frustration to get it back in.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1997FormulaBird

Spray some penetrating oil in there and wiggle it back and forth while pulling up.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Spray some penetrating oil in there and wiggle it back and forth while pulling up.
I don't know if I would do that. I wouldn't want to get anything other than oil in the oil pan. I would just pull and wiggle/twist.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:28 PM

I agree, just wiggle, twist, and turn it. It'll come out after a lot of foul language
Old 05-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

Hahaha, I know I used more than my share of curse words for the dipstick tube. I think I was cussed out after it was all said and done. I didn't utter another foul word until the next day. Seriously though.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:08 PM

The dipstick really sucks to put back in. I have heard of a few folks who got it to slip in relativley easily. Not the case for me. I had to keep bending it to get it in. Possibly my least favorite part of the header install.

~Jim~
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
The dipstick really sucks to put back in. I have heard of a few folks who got it to slip in relativley easily. Not the case for me. I had to keep bending it to get it in. Possibly my least favorite part of the header install.

~Jim~
A bunch of people have had good luck by putting it in a freezer for like 10-15 minutes before they put it back in, causing it to slightly contract a little bit. Mine went right back in no problem and that's what I did.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM

I wiggled the **** out of the dipstick to get it out
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 PM

where is the dipstick? on the passenger's side right? today i started my header install, i removed the drivers side manifold.... took about a hour or 2... i am trying to be careful... one ? there is a small wire hook up in between the 2 center manifold bolts... i accidently broke it off... what is it and what effects it?

ps. i was happy... all my bolts came off with ease some were even loose! i guess dousing them in pb blaster for about a week sure helped, i also think the prior owner had a manifold gasket replaced cuz the manifold bolts looked like they werent stock... w/e easier for me!

Quick Reply: Manifold Removal/ Header Install