Kooks LT1 Long Tubes install pics and review.... - Page 2 - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #16  

Re: Kooks LT1 Long Tubes install pics and review....

Great write up.

Any chance you could take a picture with the car on the ground, from the side to see actual ground clearance, maybe even measure? (header to ground) The reason I ask is because I have Edlebrock Victor Jr. LT's and they only give me 3"+/- on ground clearance. I might be going the Kooks route if I can get some better ground clearance. Any other advise how to get better ground clearance would be greatly appreciated.

Did the energy suspension poly mounts make a big difference? mine are stock

Do you have your stock suspension? mine is stock (base), not even the optional SLP 70002.

*And just FYI out there to other readers thinking about going to LT's or shorties, I can tell you first hand that the difference is amazing between the two. I had Hooker shorties originally, and swaped them out to LT's because they were a sweet deal. Between 4-6k rpm it is a whole new ride. Just have to get some damn ground clearance now...
GenIIJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #17  

My suspension is stock(FE2). I changed to the poly engine mounts because mine were so old....that and I had the engine out. Kind of a no brainer at the time. They are far superior to the stock ones. If yours are old, you might gain a little clearance if they are sagging.

http://www.ace1252.com/comparing_old_new.JPG
http://www.ace1252.com/drivers_poly_mount.JPG

Sitting in my garage, the lowest point is the cat on the drivers side(3.5"). The bottom of the driver's long tube is 4". The passenger's is 4.5" on both the cat and bottom of the header. For reference, the k-member is 5".

Both my videos do show ground clearance.

Last edited by ACE1252; 08-25-2012 at 09:23 AM.
ACE1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #18  

Thanks a million Ace! My headers hang a good bit lower, maybe upto an inch! I am going to asses the motor mounts and go from there. Maybe some shims would help in addition to the motor mounts? I have been wanting to install the SLP 70002 shocks and spring, but I knew that if I did there would be no chance in getting over a speed bump. This is going evolve into something expensive... nothing new there.
GenIIJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #19  

Quick question, what starter did you end up using? I've started my install and installed the passenger side, but my PowerMaster 9600 starter is hitting the header.

Thx.
JodyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #20  

Simply the stock starter.

My compression is a little higher than stock(decked heads and thinner head gaskets), but nothing that overtaxes the stock unit. As far as I know, it's 16 years old....I've never replaced it and I've had the car since 1999. Now that I've bragged about it, I'm sure it will fail in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by ACE1252; 11-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #21  
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I realize this is a really old thread, but do you recall having any issues mounting the little L-shaped bracket you removed from the factory y-pipe to the Kook's y-pipe?

I installed my headers in 2006-2007, so it's been awhile, but I know that piece did not seem to fit my y-pipe or align correctly etc. Just wondered if you had to drill any holes, make any modifications etc. It's been so long since I installed my headers I don't remember precisely what the issue was, but I know I left that piece off with the intention of contacting Kooks, installing it later etc., which I've yet to do.

My y-pipe is offroad, but I wouldn't imagine there would be any significant design differences between the two, but I can tell that at least one of your O2 bungs is oriented differently compared to my ORY. It's possible they changed some things over the years.
BTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 PM   #22  

Sounds like you are speaking of the bracket that braces up the Y-pipe to the transmission. Seems like I had to get some different bolts, other than stock, to get it to work, but didn't have to drill any holes in the Kooks Y-pipe mounting plate. What they had drilled worked just fine for me.

The biggest issue I had with the Y-pipe was that it would not go onto the headers because of the jet hot coating. Solved that issue by using emery cloth to knock down the jet hot coating.

Edit: You know...just looking at it....I wonder if I did drill some holes in that plate....I very well may have....just looking at picture 4009....where I have those bolts....I don't think Kooks put those holes there.

Last edited by ACE1252; 01-11-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #23  
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Yeah, that is the piece I'm talking about. I want to say the bolt holes wouldn't line up and we didn't bother messing with it much at the time. I do remember thinking it seemed odd to have an issue with that piece considering the quality of the headers and how well everything else fit. The car sat from 2000 until this past Thanksgiving, so it hasn't been driven much, but I would like to get that support installed at some point.

We also had an issue getting the y-pipe installed. I think we sanded down some of the coating too, but in hindsight I'm not even sure that was necessary. I seem to recall that each piece of the y-pipe would slide on without issue, but when it was assembled we had a lot of trouble getting both sides to slide on at the same time. We eventually found the sweet spot in the alignment and it seemed to slide right on, but it took some finagling. It was many years ago. so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Last edited by BTC; 01-12-2018 at 06:30 AM.
BTC is offline   Reply With Quote