Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Hooker Header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Hooker Header bolts

hello Guys,

I did a good search and didn't find a definite answer. I am looking for a set of header bolts that will make installation just a little bit easier. The ones I have right now I have to use an 11mm wrench and honestly... its a real PAIN... A Socket will NOT fit and it just makes this time consuming and pretty much hard to adjust the rear bolts of the header. They do come loose quite often and its a pita.

Is there a bolt that will make this matter MUCH simpler for future install/uninstall and or re-tighten?

I was looking at Percy's Split-Lock Header Bolts and wondered about it.
is the socket-head bolts good for this? they seem rather bulky for the hookers and sometimes they don't get int straight because of it.

Experiences?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 AM

My brother used the 12 pt ARP stainless header bolts on his LT1. We couldnt get a socket on them, but they were pretty easy to install considering that we used a box end. It really doesnt help much that the primaries are right next to the bolt holes.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Banned

I use these. just use a wrench on all of them, I don't think you will find many you can get a socket on.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...A&autoview=sku
Old 04-19-2009, 09:57 AM

The Highlander:
I used 3/8"-16 x 1" SS Allen Heads. Checked them for tightness a few days later and haven't had to touch them since. I thought working the rear bolts was much easier with them.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 AM

i have tried them.. and they were still a pain

I thought there was a header bolt with a much smaller head that would make fitting a socket easy.... Why don't they make these?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Highlander
I am looking for a set of header bolts that will make installation just a little bit easier.
I used stainless steel socket head bolts, purchased from a commercial
fastener shop:

http://picasaweb.google.com/calder.c...32328402025650
Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Highlander:
I was using ball-ended, socketed Allen wrenches form Harbor Freight like these ... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94557 ... I remember finding them on sale at the local store for $9.95. The ball end made "finding the hole" much easier.
(fondly remembering how easy engine work was "way back when" on my old '65 Chevelle!)
Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 AM

NJ-LE that is really good... tempting... I guess that is the route i'll go this time to keep them torqued right....
Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 AM

The Highlander:
Many of the header bolt kits use 3/4" bolts but 1" long bolts work better (more thread in use). Just check to be sure they don't bottom out before pulling the header flange tight. )I don't know how thick your header flange is) I used thin washers under my bolts and cleaned the threads in the holes and used some of the Permatex "Ultra Copper" high temp silicone to lube the threads and dampen vibration that might loosen the bolts. Since they were stainless steel I didn't worry about corrosion in the holes. I already had 316 SS bolts from another project but I've gotten other SS fasteners from this site ... http://www.boltdepot.com/default.aspx
Whatever you decide to do, I think the 1" length makes the most difference for reliability. Check the header flange for straightness too.

Last edited by NJ-LE; 04-22-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

I bought the bolts today... they were almost $2/each.. WTF! anyways.. i have them.. they are here... I am going tobuy that harbor freight tool set as I haven't been able to find it locally.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 PM

"they were almost $2/each" ... ouch!
Sounds like a Lowes or Home Depot price! You've got to find an industrial supply house near you.
I just noticed your location, perhaps the shipping costs are the killer. Here's another place that a CamaroZ28 member recommended in a thread. I've used boltdepot.com before but not this outfit ... http://www.nutty.com/index.shtml
Good Luck
Old 04-23-2009, 01:46 AM

if the bolts where, had, extended heads... so that the head is longer, it would be easier to fit the socket... actually... i know i have seen a picture of them....

its like having a small 'tube' to hold town the flange and use a super long bolt or something like that.... interesting...

Last edited by Highlander; 04-23-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Highlander
hello Guys,

I did a good search and didn't find a definite answer. I am looking for a set of header bolts that will make installation just a little bit easier. The ones I have right now I have to use an 11mm wrench and honestly... its a real PAIN... A Socket will NOT fit and it just makes this time consuming and pretty much hard to adjust the rear bolts of the header. They do come loose quite often and its a pita.

Is there a bolt that will make this matter MUCH simpler for future install/uninstall and or re-tighten?

I was looking at Percy's Split-Lock Header Bolts and wondered about it.
is the socket-head bolts good for this? they seem rather bulky for the hookers and sometimes they don't get int straight because of it.

Experiences?

Thanks!
percys ftw! i have them on now...i tightend them real tight when i installed them then i tightened the allen screw and it been sweet since