Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

headers with emission fittings or without

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 PM

headers with emission fittings or without

I'm in the process of installing LT pacesetters and was wondering if I should get the ones with or without emission fittings . I dont need emissions in my area but I wonder if the car would run better with or without the smog air pump. thanx in advance.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:52 PM

Removing the smog pump only cleans up the engine bay. If you have to pass emissions, I'd keep it. It won't make your car run any better or worse with or without.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:20 PM

I went with emissions and ended up wanting to plug the emissions up. Id go without the emissions if you dont need it.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:35 PM

I had heard of problems with the the AIR tube not fitting correctly so I got the Headers w/o emission fittings.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 PM

Having the AIR and EGR systems removed will not have any affect on how your car runs. However, if you don't have emissions regulations to deal with and you want to clean up your engine bay a bit, then the "race" style long tubes wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:23 PM

ok , so if i go without emission fittings what will i need to remove ? the air smog pump the catalytic conv ? or not , and the egr . i know i will have to reprogram the computer . anybody done this before tell me the process .
Old 12-09-2006, 05:53 PM

If you are putting long tube headers on your car you will generally have to move your cat to a different location then stock, which from what I have heard is enough reason for a person to fail emissions in some states. However since you don't have emissions and you're putting on long tubes I'd probably go ahead and remove the cat if I were you.

I removed my cat since I had a single cat car and only 2 o2 sensors, not 4 o2 sensors and haven't had any issues b/c of a deleted cat. Like you I also don't have emissions to deal with, also my car is OBD-I and not as senstive as an OBD-II car.

Last edited by MysticTeal95Z28; 12-09-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 PM

non emissions here....no problems ever
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 AM

What year is your car.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:22 PM

I removed all of my emissions equipment. Its not bad but here is what you need to do.

Start from the back of your car and removes the exhaust system. Use alot of PB blaster and don't muscle the bolts at first. once you have everything off including the manifold then it is the time to remove the EGR and AIR.neither one is to bad, however when you remove the AIR their is a metal tube that runs around the front side of the engine. You will have to cut this tube in at least one spot to fully remove it. I used an air powered cutting wheel. You will have a snap style plug hanging after you remve the pump. Just cap it and tie it off out of the way with zip ties or what ever you so choose.

EGR is pretty straight forward. Make sure you remove the valve and solenoid. Then make sure you plug the now exposed vacuum ports with vacuum caps. After that install the block off plates from SJM or who ever you choose and go back about your install. I strongly suggest using shoebox's website for which lines to cap and so fourth. It really comes in handy for just about everything.

Other than that, get a tune to take care of the service engine light that you'll get from the missing EGR, AIR and cats. Not to bad really its worth it when you are done. If you need any other info send me a PM and I'll try and help the best I can.

~Jim~
Old 12-10-2006, 01:23 PM

if you disconnect the air and egr system without a computer reprogramming your check engine light will be on and it may run worse than before. computer stratigy is to alter timing for egr coming on. if the egr is not coming on and timing is altered it can kill performance. not all cars do this but i have seen it before. there was an article in a couple tech trade magizines about this. the egr and air will not hurt performance at all and will only make the rest of your parts last longer(cats). be carefull about emissions because they can be brought in an area very quickly. even if your car passes a smog check it will fail if the parts are not compliant or missing. it sucks to be told to store your car because it is missing that air pump. replacing parts that got thrown away gets very expensive. i would go with the emmision headers and plug the holes if need be and store the rest of the parts. the performance gains are close on either system
Old 12-10-2006, 02:28 PM

thanx guys, by the way , mine is the 94 lt1 non vented opti. i replacing the opti and the water pump so i figured , might as well put LT headers now. I should go deeper and install a bigger cam but if i go there i know I'm gonna want to keep going and replce the heads but i don't have the money for that yet.The car has 80k miles and it's been sitting for 3yrs so i'm gonna start with the opti and headers.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Seeing that you have a 94, you don't have to worry about an SES light for the cat since there is no rear 02 sensor(s). As for the AIR, as long as you keep the fuse intact and a functional electrical circuit, the SES light will not come on for that either. As for the EGR, it is kind of a hit or miss but you may be okay for that as well and not set off an SES light. If you do, then PCM tuning is the way to go.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 PM

hey i have a quick question about the emission tubes for the air pipe. i bought a 97 lt-1 that already had headers on it and just replaced all the header gaskets and flange gaskets. the problem im having is the guy plugged the air pipe fitting with a 5/8 pipe plug and im trying to put the airpipe stuff back on but the fittings from the dealer are 1/2 not 5/8 and i have tried everything to get a reducer or a bushing that will go from a 5/8 male to a 1/2 female does anybody know of a place i can find this part?????????