Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Is Header Wrap worth it? How well does it actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Question Is Header Wrap worth it? How well does it actually work?

Ok,

So I'm going to be reassembling my motor in a month or so...

Right now I'm running Hooker Super Comp Long-tubes that are just painted, no coatings. I build some pretty major under-hood temps since the header installation. I was wondering since I have everything apart, if it'd be worth the money to wrap the headers with that header wrap?

Something along these lines: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Anyone have experience with how well this stuff actually works? If so, what type is effective, and doesn't break the bank? I'd need to buy enough to wrap both headers, so any idea how much material that requires? Does anyone make a kit for this?

I'd like to keep this at around $100 if possible.

Thanks,

Last edited by AmericanMuscle33; 04-05-2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Forgot a link
Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 PM

you would need two rolls... but I would suggest not using it. it reduces temps, but it traps water between the wrap and headers, so it increases rust. IMO if you want to reduce temps, get them coated... inside and out.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

No, it doesn't "trap water"..... how could water stay trapped in fabric that reaches close to 1,000*F? The headers rust because the wrap keeps them at such a high tube metal temperature that the iron in the mild steel header tubes combines with the oxygen in the air and oxidizes (rusts) it.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 PM

I'm not really interested in coating this set of headers....I have no where local to have it done, and I do not want to bother with shipping. In a year or two, when I get new heads, I'll include the purchase of a new set of coated headers.

However, for now, if I can do it for $100 or less...it would be worth it to me to wrap this set of headers if it'll make a difference. I'm fine with increased rust. These headers arn't in perfect shape anyhow.

So, will it make a noticable difference? And what type/brand/material should I use (or if its easier to designate) what should I stay away from?

Ok, so I'll need (2) 50ft 2inch rolls? How far down to people normally wrap? I'm assuming basically just the primary's...maybe stop right before or at where they first collect.

Thanks again,
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned

you could try it out but alot of people quit using the stuff along time ago.....

I think there is a ceramice type paint you can brush on right over top of rust, can't remember where I saw it.

most guys used to wrap the headers all the way down the tubes.....you also need the straps to hold it on...and lots of times it comes apart
Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 PM

yeah, I found this: http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

How fast/extreme is the degradation of the header material? I mean, I daily drive my car, and drag race it on weekends...I'm assuming most of what he is referring to in that article is race applications. This stuff isn't going to render my headers useless within a year or two will it?

hmm...
Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Personally, I wouldn't wrap the headers. I have heard of a couple of cases where the wrap got oil soaked and ended up igniting.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

man I wouldn't waste my money...just save and get a NEW set of coated ones......your better off coating a fresh set. There is no way to ever get the rust out of the insides so just save and get new ones like you said
Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Personally, I have my headers wrapped and it reduced my engine temps significantly. its kinda funny when you first start the car after it rains and all that "trapped moisture" quickly evaporates. they have been wrapped for the last 8 months with 0 problems. yes coated headers are better but if you want to run what you brung header wrap sure does help. Headers rust but they will still do the job, everything cant be show quality all the time. I havent burned a single plug wire since i wrapped mine either.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Tom Byrne burned his 4th Gen to the ground due to oil soaked header wrap
Old 04-06-2007, 03:08 PM

if you have an oil leak dont ignore it. you will smell the oil burning off the wrap long before it catches on fire. I have gotten oil on mine before and i waited till the engine was cool, sprayed it off really well with a water hose and let it idle till the wrap was dry.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Smile

I haven't wrapped my exhaust yet, though I'm planning to. Including the Y-pipe. However I wrapped the header on my old GSXR-1100 15 years ago. It has not rusted out. Pushing back the wrap I don't see any corrosion. Limited testing showed a 350f temp increase in the collector. There was some "burn-off" smell from the wrap that disappeard after a few weeks. It was mild. The pipe wasn't real quiet at high rpm's but after wrapping, the raspy sound became a very interesting scream!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by vdubois
if you have an oil leak dont ignore it. you will smell the oil burning off the wrap long before it catches on fire. I have gotten oil on mine before and i waited till the engine was cool, sprayed it off really well with a water hose and let it idle till the wrap was dry.
Cleaning off oil with water...doesn't sound like a thorough cleaning technique.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 PM

it wasnt meant to be thorough but it did get the majority of it off.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:49 PM

I can see how oil spilling/soaking could be a problem.

Alright, well I'm going to give it a try. It's cheap enough I'm willing to experiment with it. Do I have to buy those metal sinch ties to secure the wrap, or would regular hose clamps do the trick?

I'm kind of partial to clamps I can remove, re-adjust, and re-tighten easily.

Quick Reply: Is Header Wrap worth it? How well does it actually work?