Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Flowmasters, are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by wildweasel
If one muffler allows two more horsepower than another, then dammit I'm buying the +2 hp muffler. All you guys running 11's and 12's are not doing so because of your flowmaster, your doing it because you've spent a fortune on your car and it's making tons of power.

What flows BEST is a straight piece of pipe. If you look at the inside of a flowmaster, it looks like a freaking hamster maze; there's all kinds of places to disperse gasses and slow down velocity. I can't believe anyone who cares the slightest bit about performance would even consider putting one of those pieces of crap at the end of their exhaust system.

No, I don't have a ten second car, but I do understand the very basic fundamentals of exhaust performance. FLOWMASTERS ARE DESIGNED FOR SOUND AND NOT FLOW! End of story.

A good rule of thumb- If you can't see through it, it's garbage.

Who cares, if you like the sound of the flowmasters go buy them. You are not going to notice the "seat of the pants" difference from one aftermarket brand of muffler to the next.

I have a set of bullets sitting in my garage right now that were going on my car, but after my brother got done putting the LTs, X-pipe and FLOWMASTERS on his cobra I'm buying a set on friday. I don't care if I loose 1 or 2 hp, the sound is sooo bada$$ I really don't give a **** if I loose a little.

So whats the comparison??? On the dyno or on the track?? My buddy has a 79 firebird that has been 11.80s through a set of flowmasters, but if he would have swaped them out for a magnaflow or a set of bullets he might have run a what? 11.7999???? Who cares, IMHO you can not beat the sound of a flowmaster PERIOD, bullets sound ok but they are too raspy and loud for my liking and magnaflows just don't have the sound I want, but the flowmasters....they are perfect
Old 04-24-2007, 04:08 PM

Exactly - these guys act as tho they are going to drop .5 tenths from 1 muffler to another.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Exactly - these guys act as tho they are going to drop .5 tenths from 1 muffler to another.
HAHAHAHA that funnys, I'd like to see that. Look at the stock system, you don't gain that much flow with bigger pipe and better flowing muffler like with a magnaflow just for example, mabye 5-10 hp at most, but you have to figure in the 3" mandrel bent piping over the stock wrinkle bent 2.5 or 2.75 whatever it is so there you gain some flow and some hp

Just my .02
Old 04-25-2007, 07:50 AM

Maybe we should right the Engineers at Flow Master a letter and let them know that there mufflers are restrictive. They've only been building performance mufflers for about 40+ years, maybe no one ever told them how restrictive they were so they just dont know. i mean all they do is just slap these things together and randomly throw in some metal chambers.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 AM

This topic has been beat to death for years. I had a flowmaster muffler on my car, got rid of it for a Borla XR1 and I noticed a big differance the second I left the shop, and im not talkin 3-5hp either. I noticed that mod as much as the gears and the 1:6 rockers. Anyone can feel free to argue but unless you know how my car drove before and after each mod that I have done, you have no room to offer argue.. I loved the way my flowmaster sounded but the Borla sounds just as good and obviously performs a lot better. Take away what you want from my recommendation, but i would never again recommend flowmaster. And to the moron that said "oh I ran an 11.3 with 8lbs of boost and my flowmaster muffler", take it off and put another one on and run 10s tool. If you use enough force you can push a baseball through a garden hose, but it would be a lot easier if it was going through something that allowed it to flow more freely.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by vdubois
Maybe we should right the Engineers at Flow Master a letter and let them know that there mufflers are restrictive. They've only been building performance mufflers for about 40+ years, maybe no one ever told them how restrictive they were so they just dont know. i mean all they do is just slap these things together and randomly throw in some metal chambers.

Yea and they have also been marketing their restrictive products very well for 40+ years as well. But the power of marketing doesnt mean anything im sure.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeSkinner28
This topic has been beat to death for years. I had a flowmaster muffler on my car, got rid of it for a Borla XR1 and I noticed a big differance the second I left the shop, and im not talkin 3-5hp either. I noticed that mod as much as the gears and the 1:6 rockers. Anyone can feel free to argue but unless you know how my car drove before and after each mod that I have done, you have no room to offer argue.. I loved the way my flowmaster sounded but the Borla sounds just as good and obviously performs a lot better. Take away what you want from my recommendation, but i would never again recommend flowmaster. And to the moron that said "oh I ran an 11.3 with 8lbs of boost and my flowmaster muffler", take it off and put another one on and run 10s tool. If you use enough force you can push a baseball through a garden hose, but it would be a lot easier if it was going through something that allowed it to flow more freely.

Hey DICKFACE - I ran the car with the supercharger on the SLP Loudmouth, the Flowmaster and a Dynomax muffler - NOTHING NOTICEABLE CHANGED. I ****ing ran points with the car for 4 years 3 days a week, I'm pretty ****ing sure I would have seen a change in the ET. Not to mention the fact that i'm sponsored by a dyno shop - the car was on the rollers every couple of weeks.

Try again.

If changing your muffler alone was as much a seat of the pants/track/dyno difference as swapping gears, your status of "moron" is much greater than anyone I have ever seen.

You have no ****ing idea what you're talking about - according to your post you have 0-ZERO-NIL-NONE hard data to support your ignorant ****ing theory that you gained anything more than a change in sound.

Some of you people are real pieces of ****ing work. A bunch of bolt on 14.0 ****s telling everyone how bad the Flowmaster muffler is. If you're chasing 2-5hp THAT BADLY then why aren't you stripping out your interior? You're going to see a much greater gain by stripping your interior, removing ABS, no carpet, poly seats, no a/c, no smog, etc..... than changing a muffler.

Last edited by Projectz28; 04-28-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:47 PM

Darkhorse i couldnt have said it any more elegantly myself.

I really do understand the phrase arguing on the internet is like winning the special olypics, even if you do win your still a tard. But its is still something to do while sitting at work.

No you cannot see straight through the muffler which means absolutley dick. I think they have copensated for turbulance, back pressure and restriction in their designs. I dont give a crap what type of exhaust you have it is no more restrictive than my headers, full daul exhaust, dual flowmasters and turndowns. Unless you are running open headers in which case you are losing a lot of drivability.

Come on lets beat this horse some more. After reading the great arguments put forth by bombebomb wild weasel and snake skinner i might have to change my mufflers

Wild Weasel- "A good rule of thumb- If you can't see through it, it's garbage."
Do i even have to say anything

Bombebomb- "Your not jokeing im buying 5 of them right now for all my vehicals!Flowmasters suck, and everyone knows it (to the thread starter)
to the guy above me, iv seen people lose 6 hp by adding a flowmaster iv seen the chart."
iv=i've Vehicals=vehicles Did you see those 6 hp actually fall off the chart.

Snakeskinner-" I had a flowmaster muffler on my car, got rid of it for a Borla XR1 and I noticed a big differance the second I left the shop, and im not talkin 3-5hp either. I noticed that mod as much as the gears and the 1:6 rockers"
10-20 hp from mufflers, damn i need to go to your shop.

You guys are great I feel after those stellar arguments.

Last edited by vdubois; 04-25-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Stupidity
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Today, Flowmaster, Inc. is housed in two ultra-modern facilities together totaling over 400,000 sq. ft., one in Santa Rosa, and the other in West Sacramento, California. Flowmaster employs over 500+ workers dedicated to building the highest quality U.S. made exhaust products available.

Flowmaster operates the only exhaust Research & Design facilities of its kind in the world, centered around the SuperFlow SF-7100 engine dynamometer complete with E.C.A. (engine cycle analysis) equipment and also SuperFlow chassis dyno's. Through use of these dyno's, Flowmasters engineering staff can track the complete engine cycle in millionths of a second and can obtain exact technical data of each degree of cam rotation, from induction to the tip of the exhaust system, while also showing the power numbers that really matter, the power numbers "to the ground." Flowmaster also utilizes Spectrum Analyzers to fine "tune" the sound of each of the eleven different series of mufflers that Flowmaster currently offers, both for peak performance and just the right sound levels and tones.

Flowmasters product line includes exhaust products for Performance Street, Muscle cars, Trucks, Street Rods, RV's, Motorhomes, and all types of race applications. With over 400 different muffler models, 370+ exhaust systems and numerous exhaust accessories available, Flowmaster offers you the choice of sound to fit your sound preference from "wild to mild" and of your specific vehicle needs. Call our experienced tech staff for live help and detailed information regarding your vehicles.

Sure does sound like they know WTF is going on
Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 PM

Well after hearing from all the 11 second cars on here, and since EVERYONE owns an 11 second car, go buy a flowmaster they suck, I can't believe just because we have 14 second cars it makes us "not important", as for the grammar **** above me, if your going to correct me on that post, start doing it on all of them and quit being "not nice". Also im not striping my interior because its a daily driver car, not a full blown drag car.

If the thread starter does not care about power, buy a flowmaster.

Last edited by bombebomb; 04-25-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
Well after hearing from all the 11 second cars on here, and since EVERYONE owns an 11 second car, go buy a flowmaster they suck, I can't believe just because we have 14 second cars it makes us "not important", as for the grammar **** above me, if your going to correct me on that post, start doing it on all of them and quit being "not nice". Also im not striping my interior because its a daily driver car, not a full blown drag car.

If the thread starter does not care about power, buy a flowmaster.
Precisely the point - if they work fine on an 11 second ride what makes you think it's going to be your hinderence on a freaking 12-14 second car????

For you bolt on guys to be sweating a muffler the way you are is pathetic - you have MUCH more to worry about than a muffler.

I had stripped interior and poly seats - car was daily driven during Summer months.

At no time was this car a "full blown" drag car - I would be embarrassed to drive a "full blown" drag car that ran sub 11's.

My wife drove the car all the time - completely streetable.

When I was at your stage I certainly wasn't offering "advise" on what to stay away from - I read and read and read while putting the car together.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Precisely the point - if they work fine on an 11 second ride what makes you think it's going to be your hinderence on a freaking 12-14 second car????

For you bolt on guys to be sweating a muffler the way you are is pathetic - you have MUCH more to worry about than a muffler.

I had stripped interior and poly seats - car was daily driven during Summer months.

At no time was this car a "full blown" drag car - I would be embarrassed to drive a "full blown" drag car that ran sub 11's.

My wife drove the car all the time - completely streetable.

When I was at your stage I certainly wasn't offering "advise" on what to stay away from - I read and read and read while putting the car together.
im not sweating a muffler, I want every hp I can get though from everything.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Buy a converter for your car - you will not regret it.

Suspension is very underrated - buy some QA1's and get good tires.

There's other things you can worry about rather than the muffler that will help you tremendously.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:37 PM

My car had a flowmaster on it when I bought it. It felt really sluggish, and I couldn't even beat stock Hondas out on the street. Then I hacked off the flowmaster and ran a straight pipe out the back. I put a tornado in my air box and pulled the back seat. After dumping in some oil additives I was ready to go. Now I can walk corvettes and vipers; I probably picked up 100 hp.

We're not stupid. FACT: Flowmasters do not flow as well as many other brands. Can anyone dispute that?

They really ought to call them Soundmasters, or Cockytwelvesecondcamaroownermasters.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=DarkHorse;4564160].
Suspension is very underrated - buy some QA1's and get good tires.

F U C K YOU, yea talk tough on the internet queer. Yea all that suspension is underrated. Torque arms dont help, good springs and shocks dont help, subframe connectors are a waste of money etc.
I mean coming from you, an obvious master tech makes all the differance in the world, im going to strip my car of my suspension work right now since i now know what i did is "underrated". Like i said, you ran your flowmaster on a supercharged car and if air is going through something with enough force it will make it out. Did you ever do a dyno test with each differant muffler? How do we know that just because you achieved the same time with each muffler that you arnt just a lousy driver that cant get the most out of his car. Show me the time slips with all 3 mufflers and label them. Like i said, you have no idea how my car ran with the flowmaster and you have no idea what it ran like with the borla, so your opinion means d!ck. I have the fact that it is my car, and i know the borla made it significantly faster, you cant argue with me on that. I think the problem is weve stumbled across a few guys that are sponsored by flowmaster and dont want to think theyve got a crap product on their cars. For your info, i am so concerned about dropping weight, i have gotten rid of ABS, interior padding, and my spare and jack. But some people might not want to do that since they drive their cars more on the street and might not like the added noise or want to sacrifice losing abs. Hopefully the next pass you make your chute on the back of your incredibly fast flowmaster powered car fails to deploy and you go head on into a cornfield and are impaled by a scarecrow.
Hey Vdubois, who do you think wrote that eloquent description about the ability and qualifications of Flowmaster? I would guess the Flowmaster marketing staff. I dont think they are going to write we build half assed mufflers that dont flow worth a damn and we operate out of some 1 car garage to intice people to buy their product. What an idiot.

Quick Reply: Flowmasters, are they worth it?