Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

94-95 Mac Mid length headers Y-pipe question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:17 PM

94-95 Mac Mid length headers Y-pipe question?

So I just ordered a set of Mac mid length ceramic coated headers for my 95 Z28. No upon ordering i asked if they had EGR an what not hook ups the parts man said yes. ok , i said does the y-pipe connect to the cat or eliminate it. he replied that it would get rid of the cat. which is fine by me, but...... from picture i see an what not. it looks like the system is going to bolt to the stock cat. Is there some sort of other pipe needed to connect to macs y pipe to delete the cat or will it infact just hook right to my corsa cat back because that is what id rather. i was wondering if anyone knows? the system is 94-95 camaro z28 ceramic coated mac mid length headers an y-pipe {single cat} system. they have not come yet but i just want to make sure that i have everything i need so i can just go header to cat back i ordered the stuff through WS6store.com i didnt see any other pipe on there made to delete the cat. but i seen a pipe on
here

93-95 Camaro/Firebird LT1 Single Cat Car 3" Off Road Pipe To Stock

not sure if that is a pipe that deletes the cat or what it exactly is. Please if anyone can help me out id appreciate it. i want to have everything for this install to get it done an it was hard enough finding these headers the way it is. thank you

this is the website i ordered from
http://rpmspeed.com/product_info.php...oducts_id=1115

Last edited by Z28amustangklr; 03-26-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Re: 94-95 Mac Mid length headers Y-pipe question?

If they are emission type headers, with AIR, EGR and O2 sensor connections, the Y-pipe would be designed to connect to the inlet of the cat, not delete it. The "off road" pipe you linked is required in place of the cat, filling the space left when the cat is deleted.

The only potential problem I see is the actual connection of the end of the Y-pipe to the off-road pipe. The stock cat is welded to the stock Y-pipe. If you were keeping the cat, you cut it at the weld. Then an exhaust shop would have to weld the new Y-pipe to the cat. So the Y-pipe needs a "plain" end (no flange). The pictures I have seen of the MAC mid-lengths shows a flanged connection at the end, and the description notes hat a "starter tube for a cat or off-road pipe is included".

The off-road pipe indicates it "comes with starter tube to fit your stock Y-pipe". That may mean some creative fitting and welding is required.

The Racers Edge where you linked the off-road pipe also sells the MAC headers. Maybe they would know how the Y-pipe and off-road pipe will match up.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 PM

So I took your advice An called tre they told me to call mac directly idk why i didn't do this all in the first place lol. I spoke to the tech An he confirmed that I indeed did need that off road pipe to delete the cat. He had my order to ship out so I luckily I caught it in time. So now I should have everything I need. It's litterally a pipe with a flange on both sides. One to y pipe an one to cat back fills in the spot of the cat. Was an extra 100$ but worth it. It's honestly stupid you would need to weld the Mac y pipe to the stock cat if u wanted to keep it. I even called the ws6 guy today an he insisted the system goes to the cat back guess he was wrong an if he wasn't I can always send that pipe back. Thanks for The reply I really hope these headers are worth it. I was going to do long tubes but my cars lowered An in PA we do not have friendly streets an I didn't feel like hitting the collectors or having fitment issues An from what I read the MACs are prob one of the best mid lengths if you can find them.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM

I have this setup on my 95Z; Mac mid-lengths, Mac y-pipe, and Mac offroad pipe. Everything bolts together, fit perfectly and was of the right length ie no cutting of anything. The headers do come with full emission support. Since I had done the air pump and EGR delete, I purchased blocking plates for the EGR connections. Additionally I found some oil drain plugs for a Dodge Cummins Diesel that screwed into the air tubes to block them off. I've had the headers for 8 or 9 years now and they are still in good shape albeit with some rust and the coating is less shiny. You'll have O2 bungs available. I had to use an O2 extension on the driver's side. After I had everything running I was told that sometimes the Jet Hot coating can mess up an O2 sensor so it's good to run the headers some before installing new O2 sensors so you might want to consider that. AFAIK my new ones weren't damaged. I get normal readings from them. A benefit of the 95, and earlier, Z's is that there is no O2 sensor after the cat so nothing has to be done there like on newer cars.