East South Central Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee

LS1 Noob needs some help! Nashville

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 09:02 AM

LS1 Noob needs some help! Nashville

First a quick little history,

Im 22, I've owned a 97 Civic HX(tranny went bad) traded in on a 2k1 Ford ZX2. I had a ****ty job at the time so its all I could afford. July 3rd I totaled the ZX2 when a tard blew through a stop sign and put me in the hospital for a week.

I am just now getting another car 3 months later and after doing alot of research and test drives I just fell in love with carmax and the Firebird Trans AM. I have a 2000 FB TA A4 Vert being shipped from a carmax in NC next week, which brings me to the present.

As you can see Ive driven nothing but 4 bangers but am ready to make the jump to muscle car. I can't wait for my TA to get here and Ive been reading as much as possible for good performance/price upgrades I can do. Im having a little trouble understanding alot of the acronyms on the board but Im picking them up such as A4 and M6 etc...

I also know about jack and squat about car engines and what upgrades will do what and effect what. Ive been reading on howstuffworks about it alot. Im really ready to jump in on this new hobby and get to modding my new FB.

From what Ive gleamed a Torque converter will be the best first upgrade. But Ive also read about how TQ converters can be tough to deal with, with daily driving and parking etc... Im still not crystal clear on stall speed but Im guessing lower will be an improvement and not sacrifice driveability.

Also, Im in nashville and would like to find some good performance oriented mechanic shops. I know hunters custom automotive is here but Im not sure if they do alot of engine work most of what I see is ricey looking stuff.

Last but not least, please throw out any suggestions you have for a first time LS1 car noob. Id greatly appreciate any information you guys have to offer.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 09-21-2003, 11:39 PM

i would look into the flow of the car first.........

examples:

Air intake
Headers
exhaust

it also depends on what kind of money you have

air intake depends on wether it is a ram air car or not

Headers is all about money and wether you want to go with Long tube or shorties

exhaust is all about sound i am a fan of the borla exhaust...

I unfortunetly own a lt1 car and dont know much on the ls1 cars but you will be happy with it and also check out LS1.com you can find some good people on there can give you some good info