East South Central Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee

Atlanta Dragway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:25 PM

Atlanta Dragway

Anyone going to Commerce (Atlanta dragway) for grudge night Friday night, May 21st? If all goes well with getting the tranny rebuilt and back into the car, I will be there.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:59 PM

Re: Atlanta Dragway

Originally posted by BIGDOG_7
Anyone going to Commerce (Atlanta dragway) for grudge night Friday night, May 21st? If all goes well with getting the tranny rebuilt and back into the car, I will be there.
Yep, I plan on being there to have a little fun with a friend of mine that has a 99 Cobra. The guy is such a horrific driver that it's like torture to ride with him. I can almost hear his clutch screaming in pain.

I'm waiting for my Scanmaster that's in the mail, so I can figure out why the hell I'm breaking up like crazy at the top of 3rd and 4th. I have a feeling it's the fuel pump that's on it's way out, and it's just starving for gas way up in the rpm band. Could be ignition related though, since my engine is drooling oil down onto my opti. I went the day that they opened, and ran some really crappy times, stumbling and missfiring all the way down the track.

Ha, us LT1 guys always sound the same..."If I can get the car to running right, it'll be at the drag strip fo' sure."
Old 05-11-2004, 08:19 AM

Heh, I hear ya. I don't really care if it is running right or not, I just want to get the tranny back in so that I can go have a lil fun. A few of my friends should be there and just figured we could meet up and complain about our times...lol. BTW, I'll be in a blue 94Z with T-Tops...picking up the tranny today so should have plenty of time to get everything back in. May need to put some of the interior back in too...at least a drivers seat.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:18 AM

I'll be in a "Medium Patriot Red Metallic" (NOT maroon ) 94 Z28 with some pretty dark window tint. The friend I'm gonna be racing is in a 99 Mystichrome Cobra, and I may have another friend with me that'll bring a 95 Bright Red Z28.

Last edited by DonHood; 05-11-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:08 PM

Sounds good, I hope to see you there. I am going to try and get there around 6:15-6:30 if all goes good. Anyone going to try and come out?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:34 AM

Well, bad news. I got the tranny back in yesterday and instead of grinding from 1st to 2nd, it simply won't shift from 1st to 2nd now. Taking it back to the guy that rebuilt it today and I am hoping that he can take a look at it so I can get to the track next week. Still hoping to make it though.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:17 PM

Well, bad news. I got the tranny back in yesterday and instead of grinding from 1st to 2nd, it simply won't shift from 1st to 2nd now. Taking it back to the guy that rebuilt it today and I am hoping that he can take a look at it so I can get to the track next week. Still hoping to make it though.
Is this a shop you're taking it to, or just someone you know? Sounds like the only problem you had to begin with was bad synchronizers. That should've been an easy enough job for someone experienced with transmissions.

On a brighter note, my scanner should be at the house waiting for me when I get off work. I'll plug it up and make a few "spirited" drives down 64 and see for sure what kinda probs I'm having.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by DonHood
Is this a shop you're taking it to, or just someone you know? Sounds like the only problem you had to begin with was bad synchronizers. That should've been an easy enough job for someone experienced with transmissions.

On a brighter note, my scanner should be at the house waiting for me when I get off work. I'll plug it up and make a few "spirited" drives down 64 and see for sure what kinda probs I'm having.
It is a local shop that has did very good work for me before. It was just bad synchonizers...1st and 2nd. I dropped it off...hopefully he can get it back to me today or tomorrow. I would like to get a few miles on it before I take it to the track.

Good luck with the new toy!
Old 05-12-2004, 05:44 PM

Good luck with the new toy!
Didn't come today. I used the tracking number they gave me, and it said that it arrived at the Franklin UPS place yesterday, and was loaded on the truck this morning at 7:15. Guess they got backed up on other deliveries or something, I really wish it'd come soon though. I need to figure out what's happening with my car so I can get it fixed before the 21st.

Hope you get the tranny ordeal sorted out. You need to be able to rip through the gears at Atlanta.

EDIT: UPS man came rolling up as I was typing this. Off to shower and play with my new gizmo.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:44 AM

So, what did the new gizmo tell ya? The guy at the tranny shop said that he had to order a part and SHOULD have it back to me tomorrow. I sure hope so!
Old 05-13-2004, 09:22 AM

So, what did the new gizmo tell ya? The guy at the tranny shop said that he had to order a part and SHOULD have it back to me tomorrow. I sure hope so!
Well, I didn't have much time to fool with it last night. I got it all wired up and took it for a quick trip down the road, and it told me what I already had a pretty good idea of, that my O2 sensors were shot. That's the deal with my low rpm stumble anyway. I can't diagnose my high stumble till I get the O2's fixed, so I can get at least a somewhat accurate air/fuel ratio reading.

I also learned that my dash gauges aren't really that accurate, particularly the tach and coolant temp gauges. I always thought my car had a high idle around 900-950 rpm according to my tach, but on the scanmaster, it read right at 800 where it's supposed to be on a M6. It also shows a whole lot more than what I thought it would. Anything from injector pulsewidths, spark advance, and MAF/MAP sensor readings, all the way to how much pressure you have in your air conditioner. Pretty much anything with a sensor running to it can be monitored.

It's actually a cool little gadget, kinda like having 20 gauges in one little box. I just wish it had a different way of monitoring the data, instead of having to cycle through all of them to get to the one you want. Still something neat to tinker with though, and invaluable if you have ever had an SES light, but no way of knowing what it was for.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:19 AM

Sounds good, I just about finished getting the tranny back in last night but ran out of time...got sleepy. Maybe this afternoon I will finally get to take me a good ole cruise down the road and be able to hit all the gears without any problems.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:29 PM

Well, just got everything back in and took it for a spin. Man, I love being able to slam some gears! She's finally back on the road. I am going to run it down to the local GM shop and get them to check out why the SES light won't go off now and hopefully get a replacement sensor because the oil light is staying on too. Both of those have been on for a good while now but I just haven't had the time to drop by. Well, hope to see ya at Commerce.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:22 PM

Glad you got your car back together finally!

I think I've diagnosed my problem....failing fuel pump. It's leaning out in the upper RPM's, and leaning out a LOT. I'm gonna check the fuel pressure tomorrow after work. If the pump turns out to be the problem, I'll just have to order one, and hope it gets here in time to put it in before Friday.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:22 AM

I've been thinking about going to the dragstrip. maybe i will stop by this weekend. i live 10 min from it. i will problaly be in the area anyway.

Quick Reply: Atlanta Dragway