East South Central Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee

Anyone in GA have issues with emissions when moving the cat(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM

Anyone in GA have issues with emissions when moving the cat(s)

I want to do longtubes in the near future, but currently have a single cat on the car, in the stock location (my car is a 95 Formula). The y-pipe I would need would have dual cats, and the location of those cats would be moved from the stock location, which is a no-no, if you go by the letter of the law.

Anyone go from a single cat to a dual cat, and receive flack from the emissions shops? From my standpoint, if the car passes emissions, it shouldn't matter how many/few cats you have on the car, but I'm not a lawmaker.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 AM

The emissions test I had here (Kennesaw) was purely a plug-in, no one looked under the hood or under the car for one, two, or no cats at all. As long as you have no codes, you should be good to go.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 AM

For a '95 and earlier car - you're gonna put it on a dyno and they will do a sniffer test. For '96 and later they'll plug in as described above.

The place I take it to usually kneels down and looks under the truck to make sure a CAT is present. I don't think they pull out a schematic of your car and compare. They just do a "visual" inspection for it and call it a day.

You shouldn't have a problem either way.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by HectorM52
For a '95 and earlier car - you're gonna put it on a dyno and they will do a sniffer test. For '96 and later they'll plug in as described above.

The place I take it to usually kneels down and looks under the truck to make sure a CAT is present. I don't think they pull out a schematic of your car and compare. They just do a "visual" inspection for it and call it a day.

You shouldn't have a problem either way.
That's kind of what I was thinking on the visual inspection. The place I go to uses a mirror on a stick, which probably saves the knees a little bit. Plus, they probably don't know when the f-bodies went to a dual cat setup anyway. But wanted to see if there were some real world experience with the GA emissions *****. Thanks for the help.