Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

WOT lockup / Fuddle converter questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM

WOT lockup / Fuddle converter questions

im about to order the fuddle hps.3400 converter. i want this one mainly because of the ability to lockup at WOT. has anyone had experience doing this? just wondering exactly when to set my pcm to lockup the converter. should i set it to lockup at WOT half way through 2ndgear and all the way through 3rd gear? or should i not set it to do this all the time? (i imagine even though it says its designed for it it will still wear out a little faster if im locking it up all the time @ WOT). this is now my weakend car and take to the track every once in awhile car. also heard a few people say fuddle takes their time sending out convrters. anybody hear anything bad about that lately? thanks all,

Ryan
Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 PM

I'm going to type this in all CAPS, so you fully understand it! THERE IS NEVER, EVER, EVER A REASON TO LOCK THE CONVERTER UNDER WOT!!!
Exactly what is your reasoning for ever wanting to? Impressive dyno numbers? Locking the converter under WOT will certainly do one thing...destroy an input drum in the transmission. You certainly don't want lock-up in the quarter mile, unless you want to slow the car down. If the converter locks, it pulls the engine down below peak RPM's, and slows you down.

We stand behind our transmissions better than most, but we can't, if a customer intentionally does something that will cause catastrophic transmission failure...Especially if they've been warned.

Frank
CPT

PS...INCASE YOU MISSED IT! NEVER LOCK A CONVERTER UNDER WOT!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 AM

ok i can hear you. well i have people telling me to do this (a couple mustang and GN guys) and people telling me not to do this. not i wasnt wanting to do this just to put it on the dyno. i was under the assumption this would help at the top end. why do they make converters that can lockup at WOT then?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by plan Z
why do they make converters that can lockup at WOT then?

For people wanting better dyno numbers.

BTW, locking the converter in a GN will sometimes help, but a turbo V-6 acts different than a V-8. WOT locking the converter with a 2004R will result in broken transmission parts, too.

Frank
CPT
Old 07-31-2007, 02:12 PM

ok. i figured this may be somewhat of a contraversal topic, but i'm still wondering. i know the tci converter i had in my car last was nice at the beginning but while in 3rd at the track just felt like it fell on its face even spraying. i know the fuddle may act differently (with a different str or whatever), but besides the point of being bad for the transmission, do you think it would slow me down even if i locked it up at the end just to try? im pretty sure you're gonna tell me still not to do it but i'd still like to know if i can gain a little top end. i'm not expecting this tranny to last long as it is, the main reason i wanted to do this was to run a PB at the track. i appreciate your input btw
Old 07-31-2007, 03:19 PM

Wow Frank, so you think I should unlock my converter, maybe I will pick up a little more, as of right now I have it set to lock up at about 96 MPH, I bumped it up from th factory setting because it would bog the motor down too much, but at this point feel like it brings it down to the torque peak again...

I might try and take it back out this weekend, if the weather is nice, and try a few runs with the lockup completely removed and find out...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM

I think you two should re-read post # 2. It is very rare that locking up the converter helps. And believe me, neither one of you qualifies.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
I think you two should re-read post # 2. It is very rare that locking up the converter helps. And believe me, neither one of you qualifies.
I think you would realize my responce is to post #2, this is why I said I was going to try that. Why not try reading before making stupid comment, and what is it that I don't qualify for?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
I think you would realize my responce is to post #2, this is why I said I was going to try that. Why not try reading before making stupid comment, and what is it that I don't qualify for?
Making stupid comment? I'm not the one that thought locking up the converter in the first place was a good idea. What made you think that this was a good idea? So you could dyno higher, and therefore run faster?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM

Making stupid comment? I'm not the one that thought locking up the converter in the first place was a good idea. What made you think that this was a good idea? So you could dyno higher, and therefore run faster?
No, because just like every one of us it came that way in the factory tune, I was just changing the tune so it didn't lock right away and bog the motor down. I didn't purposely set it that way other then increased the lockup time, until reading this post and stating I would try removing it completely, then you jumped in acking like an *** without reading...
Old 08-01-2007, 03:17 AM

i have seen many factory f-body tunes that has the tcc lock up under wot around 9? mph, usually we find it when doing dyno runs and all of a sudden around 9? mph there is a strange jump in the graph(usually the hp level takes a spike downward in hp)

we then turn off the wot tcc apply and the dyno graph looks good
Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 AM

And believe me, neither one of you qualifies.
I don't understand this statement. Are you insinuating that John (1slowformula) doesn't qualify for this theory? If anyone knows their car and it's potential, and capabilities, it's John. Read his sig...He's got a bolt-on car running 12.34 in extreme heat and humidity.
As far as I know, John has always used a 1320 foot dyno. He's not about big dyno numbers, he's about going fast.

Frank
CPT
Old 08-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Is this thread basically telling people lock up is really only good for the street for better gas mileage?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Is this thread basically telling people lock up is really only good for the street for better gas mileage?
Now I don't know either. Am I missing something here? I thought only a few cars benefit from locking up the converter in the quarter. Sorry if I stepped on some toes.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Yeah I think this had gotten into a pissing match, and a little off topic, sorry...

But, in talking to Frank on this subject he stated that only a few car types really benefit from locking the converter in the 1/4 and the biggest subset of those are turbo cars. While I have had mine locked I will attempt to change my setting and see how it reacts at the track. I have already experianced moving it from the stock setting and increaseing when it locks up I go a little faster ET wise, but drop MPH, so we'll see after I go to the track again what removing the TC lockup completely will do. I plan on doing back to back testing of this and posting up what I find since it only takes me 10 minutes to reflash the changes between runs, that way we get good results for comparison...

Quick Reply: WOT lockup / Fuddle converter questions