Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

What tranny?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:37 AM

What tranny?????

Im going to be gettin a built tranny sometime very soon.

I have NO clue what i want. I can think of tons of PROS for both A4 and M6

i am getting new gears too, but want to wait until i do the tranny swap before because that will be a deciding factor on what gears i get. (plus i need a gear that will make third much stronger......i cant stand the feeling it has when it shifts into 3rd.........i would LOVE to have 4.56's or 4.10's in a M6, however i dont want to have to shift four thousand times in the quarter....haha

Pros of auto:
can run a stall 2800 or 3200
faster and more consistant than a M6 at the track
will run 3.73's with it

Pros of manual
can run 4.10's or 3.73's
much stronger in 3rd than the auto and will make a much stronger highway runner
better gas mileage due to 6th
having a 3rd gear ratio that is leaps and bounds better than an autos

Cons of auto:
Highway driving with 3.73's
everyday driving with 3200 stall
whimpy 3rd gear

Cons of manual
wont get out of the hole as quick at the track (until i get a 12bolt)
again, cant run slicks until i get a 12 bolt
having to do the A4 to M6 conversion

OMG, all of their pros and cons are soooo even i dont know what to do.

Help me make a logical choice. This is a DD

Last edited by scottslt1z28; 01-28-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:11 AM

Re: What tranny?????

Scott,

What makes you think that 3rd gear in an auto is week?

Unless you are refeing to the gear ratio, but this has nothing to do with strength. When you are racing it is the most Ideal to get to the end of the track at the end of your 1:1 ratio gear.

Meaning a 6sp needs to be in 4th gear at the end of the track and an auto in 3rd.

Gear selection should not matter if it is set up for racing, because again you are shooting to get to the end of the track at the end of your 1:1 ratio. For example if you are running the car as primarily race vehicle with limited street/highway driving you can put 4.11's or 4.56's in the the auto, if they are optimal for your setup.

The reason most people don't do/recommend this is they drive their car as a daily driver. All the pros and cons you listed were around racing, so it makes me think this will be the primary or at least what the vehicle will mostly be used for. Obviously you need to do whatever you feel will be best for your car and how you will be using it, but I just wanted to give you a little more info that I thought you might need after reading your post...
  • 3rd gear is not week in the Auto.
  • Depending on use of the vehicle, gear selection should be to optimize your performance and your combination, not just to follow the norm of what everyone else does.
  • If you are looking for help with these things it is best to tell us what your goals for the vehicle are.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:12 AM

Re: What tranny?????

Only reason i say that about third is because it doesnt seem to want to pull very hard then.

I dunno why...........

i just know the gear ratios for 3rd gear on a manual car are so much tighter than the autos

i am thinking i want 4.10's and a manual (w/ a 12-bolt)

--Scott

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
Scott,

What makes you think that 3rd gear in an auto is week?

Unless you are refeing to the gear ratio, but this has nothing to do with strength. When you are racing it is the most Ideal to get to the end of the track at the end of your 1:1 ratio gear.

Meaning a 6sp needs to be in 4th gear at the end of the track and an auto in 3rd.

Gear selection should not matter if it is set up for racing, because again you are shooting to get to the end of the track at the end of your 1:1 ratio. For example if you are running the car as primarily race vehicle with limited street/highway driving you can put 4.11's or 4.56's in the the auto, if they are optimal for your setup.

The reason most people don't do/recommend this is they drive their car as a daily driver. All the pros and cons you listed were around racing, so it makes me think this will be the primary or at least what the vehicle will mostly be used for. Obviously you need to do whatever you feel will be best for your car and how you will be using it, but I just wanted to give you a little more info that I thought you might need after reading your post...
  • 3rd gear is not week in the Auto.
  • Depending on use of the vehicle, gear selection should be to optimize your performance and your combination, not just to follow the norm of what everyone else does.
  • If you are looking for help with these things it is best to tell us what your goals for the vehicle are.