Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

What clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:41 AM

What clutch?

Well, my aluminum flywheel Street Twin just crapped out after 6K miles (haven’t pulled it apart yet to figure out why/what happened), and I was never happy with it so I’m thinking of going back to a more conventional clutch. What’s popular/working well for the LT1 guys out there?

Things that are probably out (unless I find that they’ve been changed):
- McCleod - I just don’t think the drivability is there with the aluminum flywheel street twin, at least not for a real street car. If I take it apart and find that it wasn’t really the clutch assembly’s fault (I don’t see how it won’t be judging from what it’s doing), I may try adapt it to a stock flywheel to get some extra mass and drivability out of it.
- SPEC- after seeing at least 3 of them explode I’m not even entertaining the thought
- CF- at least the DF setup. I’ve seen enough of them go wonky and for a while at least they had real tolerance issues with the LT1 clutch assemblies. I’ve seen at least 2 or 3 cars that they just wouldn’t release correctly
- I’ve always stayed away from Kevlar clutches since they were chatter prone, especially once you overheat them, as popular as they’re staying I have to wonder if anyone has fixed that tendancy.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Re: What clutch?

Ram in whatever hp range you require for your application.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by WS6 TA
- McCleod - I just don’t think the drivability is there with the aluminum flywheel street twin, at least not for a real street car. If I take it apart and find that it wasn’t really the clutch assembly’s fault (I don’t see how it won’t be judging from what it’s doing), I may try adapt it to a stock flywheel to get some extra mass and drivability out of it.
You do know that McLeod makes a ST with a billet steel flywheel as well, right? That's what most people are using.

I'm quite happy with the drivability of my ST (steel flywheel). Sure, the pedal takes a bit more muscle and the engagement is quicker, but I didn't find it to be a huge adjustment for me (and probably not much different from other high performance clutches).

Mind you, if my ST grenaded after 6k I wouldn't be too happy!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:30 AM

Right now my top contenders are a Ram HD (not really sufficient for the use but I’ve never had an issue with the ram stuff), or Zoom (though everything that they recommend uses some Kevlar, which again, makes me nervious).
Old 10-18-2006, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dave '97 Z28 M6
You do know that McLeod makes a ST with a billet steel flywheel as well, right? That's what most people are using.
Yep, I know, and I know that they are a lot more streetable (a LOT more stock like) then the aluminum ones. But at this point I’m pretty unlikely to be throwing any more money at McLeod…

Mind you, if my ST grenaded after 6k I wouldn't be too happy!
Yea, who knows when I’ll actually have time (and clean up the garage enough) to get a really good look at it, but at some point I trimmed the dust cover on so I can pull it off without removing the bell housing/starter and loosened that and got a bunch of shrapnel coming out… Right now it’s jammed engaged, even with the pedal pressed to the floor…