Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Vigilante Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 AM

Vigilante Converter?

I've done some searching and found a lot of good info but I'd like to get some specific opinions on my situation. My TCI 2800 stall converter died last Sunday on the way to the track. At least that's what the mechanic is thinking. They are dropping the pan on the trans today. I didn't know to avoid TCI at the time I originaly purchased it. I am now looking for a replacement. I hear good things about Vigilante, Pro Edge Racing converter, and Yank. Precision Industries is the closest to me and can probably have a Vigilante here in a day or two for $760 shipped. That may be the deciding factor. I was pretty happy with the stall at 2800. Any more stall and traction will be an issue. I can't run slicks until at some point I go with a solid rear. The dana 36 can't handle them. The car is my daily driver with occasional track use. I use a 125 shot of nitrous when running it, not launching on it, and I have the mods below. The Vigilante converter I was told is a 9.5" with a 1600hp rating. It weighs about 34 lbs. The one I'm looking at may be overkill but I want a converter that will never die and is more efficient. Will I see any gain in efficiency/hp from this converter over the TCI? What do yall think about the Vigilante?

Thank you

Update:

I just got off the phone with Edge Racing Converters. The were very helpful. They said I could easily get by with their Street Edge Converter. He said there was no reason to sell me the Pro Edge, that I didn't need, that was $200 more. He went over all my specs and gathered info for the build. It's $525 not including shipping. I would order from them just going by their assistance/customer service on the phone. The problem is they are located in Ca and it would take a minimum of 3 days to build then $85+ to ship overnight. That's approaching the Vigilante price. I'm guessing the Vigilante would also be an application specific build? Opinions?

Last edited by rickreeves1; 03-21-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:04 PM

I would go Vigilante all the way.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Vigilante is not as custom as Edge and Yank, all three are solid converters though.

Edge is my choice but all are good choices. If speed is key that isa plus for Vig since they are close BUT ask them once what a cut and clean costs, $$$$$ Edge is much cheaper since they only charge for work needed where Vig's charge is assuming the converter is a total loss and if it needs less work they just make more money. So yeah the initial cost of rush shipping an Edge will push it near VIG price but in the long haul it will still be a cheaper converter to own.

I will say the wildest 4L60E application I know of is a 146mph in the quarter 96 Impala at 4500lbs and it has a 9.5" Vig in it, I don't know of anything near that wild trying to run Yank or Edge on a 4L60E they might hold up too but this just says how durable a good converter can be compared to TCI crap. TCI and B&M might have made good stuff for the old 3 speed stuff but are best avoided when it comes to the 4L60E.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Vig. or Yank, take your pick. I have owed both. Theres other other quality converters, but their just as much, and I heve never used them or driven cars that had them installed. If you went with a Yank it would probably take 2 weeks to recieve. Plus you would need a 3200 or there about, to compare to a Vig. 2800. Please don't go less than that with the stall rating.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:15 PM

I spoke with Dana at Probuilt Automatics before I purchased my converter and I ended up going with the edge pro street converter. I am very happy with the edge converter. It has a stall speed of 3000 rpm. Dana told me that both edge and the vig. were both good. I told him I was kinda of hurting after just building the trans to hold the hp. I am having traction problems but man the converter is not all sloppy. You cant really even tell it has a stall in it until you hold the brake and get into the converter. I think you will be please with the edge. But you know what they say about opinions..LOL. Hope this helped you.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Plus you would need a 3200 or there about, to compare to a Vig. 2800. Please don't go less than that with the stall rating.

At first Edge Racing recomended at least a 3000 stall for my application. The Dana 36 rear won't handle hard launches for long on a sticky tire. It would destroy it. I think the 2800 is about as far as I can go at this time. On the street I can't put it to the floor now. I have no traction. If I did a solid rear conversion then the higher stall would make sense. I'm guessing theres probably a lot I'm loosing in the 60' between the 2800 and the 3200. If only I had the strong rear and could run slicks.

I spoke to the trans shop. The transmission is going to need rebuilding too. This is getting expensive. Anyone converted a 4L60E to the 4L80E? Raptor transmissions makes a full conversion kit for my car for $5k.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L...4L80E_Swap.htm

I think I will only be able to afford the converter and a rebuild though. I am going to ask the local trans shop to build my 40L60E as strong as they can. Unfortunately I know nothing about the internals of transmissions. I was told sonnax parts are the way to go.??

Last edited by rickreeves1; 03-21-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Talk to Frank at CPT, best 4L60E's out there.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Stay far away from Raptor.
The 4L60E if built right has been used in 9 second cars heavier than yours so no reason to waste money on a 4L80E.

My tranny is a 4 year old one from Pro-Built.net that Blazinredz28 mentioned above.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Stay far away from Raptor.
The 4L60E if built right has been used in 9 second cars heavier than yours so no reason to waste money on a 4L80E.

My tranny is a 4 year old one from Pro-Built.net that Blazinredz28 mentioned above.
Thanks for the heads up on raptor. I thought I had heard that from a few others.

My local mechanic has the trans at a shop he trusts for rebuilds looking through it. The local trans shop may be the way to go to save on shipping, the rental cost, and time. If he trusts them so do I. I am also going to look into the others recommended. I know nothing about the internals of transmissions. What parts should I ask for on the rebuild? Any specific things to request? Anyone have a list available? I'm looking for the best parts because I don't want to be doing this again in three years.

Last edited by rickreeves1; 03-21-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 PM

I have used the Vigilante for a long time, and I love it! Can't go wrong with it. As far as the tranny, just beef up the 4L60 and you'll be fine. There are lots of good heavy duty part out there for it that weren't available just a few years ago
Old 03-21-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Is this the pro-built company you were referring to? Maybe I can get one of their rebuild kits and have the local shop do it.

https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php?cat=22

I called and left a message for them. Any recommendation on which kit?

Last edited by rickreeves1; 03-21-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:46 PM

That is the company, he has a few differnt addresses that all lead to the same site.

With the 4L60E the guy putting it together is MORE important than the parts. Have seen a lot of shops think they can just throw a bunch of parts at it without paying attention to getting clearances and valvebody setup right and it ends badly. Before I would trust any local shop I would want to talk to someone who has been using the same tranny for a few years in a similar manner, meaning see if there is a local f-body or Impala club and see if they can recommend someone. Lots of shops get good reputations for "racing" or performance trannies by building TH400 but then give them a 4L60E and it wont last but a year at best.

Dana at ProBuilt is best reached evenings, he is in the pacific timezone. Hre will happily try and help another builder get all the clearances and such set right. Hard part is finding a tranny builder locally to listen too him. I have seen what happens when a local know it all just slaps something together with a good kit rather than taking the time to listen and set clerances and such, it isn't good.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
I've done some searching [snipped]
Opinions?
Pick up the phone and call Dave at Yank and talk to him about your goals
and decide on a TC. Next, pick up the phone and call Chuck at FLT and
decide on a tranny. One thing to keep in mind about the Vig TC, which
I read a lot of feedback on, is the stall is not as advertised. This is why
it's important to talk to each builder.

Next, jump over to the "LS1Tech" forums and jump into the "auto" forum
and read over the sponsors there - you will find Vince (FLT) postings
there. You will find a lot of valuable info!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
At first Edge Racing recomended at least a 3000 stall for my application. The Dana 36 rear won't handle hard launches for long on a sticky tire. It would destroy it. I think the 2800 is about as far as I can go at this time. On the street I can't put it to the floor now. I have no traction. If I did a solid rear conversion then the higher stall would make sense. I'm guessing theres probably a lot I'm loosing in the 60' between the 2800 and the 3200. If only I had the strong rear and could run slicks.

I spoke to the trans shop. The transmission is going to need rebuilding too. This is getting expensive. Anyone converted a 4L60E to the 4L80E? Raptor transmissions makes a full conversion kit for my car for $5k.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L...4L80E_Swap.htm

I think I will only be able to afford the converter and a rebuild though. I am going to ask the local trans shop to build my 40L60E as strong as they can. Unfortunately I know nothing about the internals of transmissions. I was told sonnax parts are the way to go.??
DO NOT USE THESE FOLKS! They have no clue what they are doing. Learn from my loss of $2600 with them. There 700hp/tq tranny only lasted me 3 months on my stock LT1 motor. Since it was still under warranty I had to take it out at my cost and send it to them and pay for shipping there and back. They suposedly fixed it. They said the 3-4 clutch pack was burned up. As soon as I drove it off the rack after installing the "fixed" tranny, it would not engauge into 1st gear. They never fixed the problem. They thought I would be a dumb customer who couldn't tell the difference. Thanks to datamaster they didn't skim that one by me. They wanted me to send it back to them again at my cost. Yeah $254 every time I ship it is kinda pricey. So I sent the tranny to frank at CPT. Frank not only fixed the obvious clutch pack issue but also clearanced the clutches correctly which he said was way off. Also he said he found a cracked accumulator piston. I mean how do you miss a cracked ACC. Piston. Raptor is extremely unprofessional in their customer service and knowledge of a 4L60E. Take it from me after losing $2600+ from them I urge anyone else to stear WELL Clear of Performance Transmission Center Raptor transmissions or anything they make for that matter.

Last edited by Airbornec507; 03-21-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Airbornec507
DO NOT USE THESE FOLKS! They have no clue what they are doing. Learn from my loss of $2600 with them. There 700hp/tq tranny only lasted me 3 months on my stock LT1 motor. Since it was still under warranty I had to take it out at my cost and send it to them and pay for shipping there and back. They suposedly fixed it. They said the 3-4 clutch pack was burned up. As soon as I drove it off the rack after installing the "fixed" tranny, it would not engauge into 1st gear. They never fixed the problem. They thought I would be a dumb customer who couldn't tell the difference. Thanks to datamaster they didn't skim that one by me. They wanted me to send it back to them again at my cost. Yeah $254 every time I ship it is kinda pricey. So I sent the tranny to frank at CPT. Frank not only fixed the obvious clutch pack issue but also clearanced the clutches correctly which he said was way off. Also he said he found a cracked accumulator piston. I mean how do you miss a cracked ACC. Piston. Raptor is extremely unprofessional in their customer service and knowledge of a 4L60E. Take it from me after losing $2600+ from them I urge anyone else to stear WELL Clear of Performance Transmission Center Raptor transmissions or anything they make for that matter.
Let's not forget your brothers ex-Raptor transmission that I also rebuilt for you guys. Both of your transmission had obvious build mistakes, and less than optimal parts.
I intentionally stayed out of this post because too many people seem to jump at me if I comment on a "competitors" transmission. I'm glad you noticed this post, and were able to comment about what you went through with Raptor.

Frank
CPT

Quick Reply: Vigilante Converter?