Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

transmission or ecm problem... wont upshift at WOT (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:31 PM

transmission or ecm problem... wont upshift at WOT (long post)

ok, i know this is getting old because ive posted a similar problem 3 or so times before and came up with nothing useful. beyond that ive done a lot of searching and came up with nothing until recently ive found many other people on another forum with a similar problem with the trans (wont upshift on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift at WOT only, very hard shifts everywhere else in the throttle band) most it seems have discovered it to be a computer problem! apparently something with the OBDI computer system screws up with any changes... because according to a mac scanning tool, my pcm is not even commanding a shift from 2-3 or 1-2 under wot it will finally shift after bouncing off the rev limiter and yes i know it can be hard to see if it does or not evenb my mechanic said that but he watched it closely... anyway has anyone found a fix for this? all the fixes on the other board didnt work... but they all pointed toward a problem with the computer and it is only a prevailent problem for 94 and 95 models. thats why i say its a problem with OBDI. anyhow im at a loss, and my mechanic is out to an auto show until monday and has asked me to also do some research and see if i can come up with anything so im asking if anyone here has found a fix because ive had my car in the shop for a month and have even come to the point of testing a brand new from GM transmission in my car (havent gotten there yet but thats the first thing hes doing monday when hes back)
simply put the car wont shift from 2-3 at WOT when i first got it back, then i put 3.73 (from 2.73) gears in it and then it started acting up with 1-2 shift... is it that its getting to the rev limiter too fast for the pcm to keep up? what can possibly cause this because the trans has been taken out twice already to attempt to fix this and it is NOT in the trans.
i was also told that putting the trans pak in it may have altered the calibration within the valve body and that is what is causing the pcm to not tell it the right time to shift! but that was by some guy over the phone... (auto tech transmissions)
thanks for any information you can give me
Old 04-02-2005, 11:06 AM

Re: transmission or ecm problem... wont upshift at WOT (long post)

ok.. i know someone else has had this problem because there were a LOT of replies to a similar question on the unofficial Z28 forum, but no one there knew a fix that worked on mine. =/