Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Torque Converter ? before i order

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 03:44 PM

Torque Converter ? before i order

I am going to go with a 3600 stall they only offer up to 3500, on Combination motorsports' website they say "Please call to order custom stall converters as there are many factors that go into designing a custom torque converter"

So the question is what do i specify? Other than i want a 3600stall?

Also i was wondering should i just call precision industries and deal with them directly---no middle man to mess it up?

I think i should just call them directly what do you think? Can you oreder directly from them?
Old 03-07-2004, 03:46 PM

Also if there is any other advice that you would like to give before i order

Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 04:05 PM

3600 stall on a stock motor might be alittle high. But if you plan on a cam than that might be okay. I would call whoever you are going to get the converter from. Buy from the middle man they usally have a better price from buying in bulk.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:26 PM

Don't forget that Vigilante under rates their convertors by several hundred rpm. For instance, their 3200 stall is actually a 3800 stall. Personally I'd call Vig for technical assistance before ordering.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:42 PM

The speed at which a converter stalls is quite dependent on the torque curve of the motor it is behind. There's no way it can be predicted to within one or two hundred rpm, unless the same converter has been tested on an indentical motor. So, you first have to decide what rpm you want your converter toi stall at. Then, I'd advise talking directly to the converter manufacturer, unless you have a very standard combo.

Rich Krause
Old 03-07-2004, 09:18 PM

Yea it is going to have head and cam eventually. When the money comes Probably next year.

what happens if i run the 3600 without heads and cam? Bascially this is hopefully going to be a blown 396 someday........i mean a long way down the road--but i don't want to have to keep having to redo everything.......I like to do it right the first time.

I have heard many people are not satisfied with there 3000stalls-that its not enough and when i do the heads and cam i don't want to get it restalled.

What does "toi" mean

I'll just go with the 3600 i guess----the re-stall them for free anyway.....just have to install and uninstall twice But then i will know how to install TC LOL

I'll probably still call them directly to see if it will work with my set-up and what i want to do.

The car is not daily driven either----just a track and weekend car.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:30 AM

"Toi" = "to".

A radically different combo will need a different converter. That's what I was trying to get at. Let me try another way.

There are two different issues here. One is "what speed will a given converter stall at". Let's say you buy a converter with a "3,600 rpm stall" and put it behind a stock 350 and it does, in fact, stall at 3,600rpm. Then you build the motor up into a stroker with a blower and nitrous. Guess what? Your "3,600 rpm stall" converter now will stall a lot higher, assuming it doesn't self-destruct because it was never dersigned for that much torque!

The other issue is "what rpm represents the optimal stall for my combo". You are on the right track here, as you have specified that the car will be optimized for the 1/4m, not street use. But still, to answer will depend on the torque and hp curves your combo generates. In general, though there are exceptions, you want to stall a couple of hundred rpm below peak torque. This gives the quickest 1/4 mile times and the best launch (assuming the traction is there).

You need to be a little clearer on what you are asking and need to specify more about your combo to get a better answer. As I implied above, another issue is "how strong a converter do you need?" If you are relatively stock now, a basic performance converter will probalby be fine. For something that will hold up behind a radical blown stroker you will need something a lot stouter (and a lot more expensive). Again, I suggest you pick a converter brand and call the manufacturer.

Rich Krause
Old 03-08-2004, 04:55 PM

Yea that's a good point it will have to be totally different for the storker.

I don't know what or where my peak torque is? I am going to be doing head, intake, cam, throttle body next year. I need something that will optimized that combo.

I know the brand it's going to be VIgalante

How does it stall higher on a stroker? I don't know much about converters or trannies.

Thanks Rich, you always have good advice. I'll re-think the converter.

Maybe i should just screw the converter and work on the motor.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:41 PM

A converter is a fluid coupling, it has no ability whatsoever to sense rpm. How fast a given motor will be able to drive the impeller (input side) against a locked turbine (output side) is by definition the "stall speed". The design of the converter (size, number, shape and angle of the vanes, clearances, etc.) will determine what this speed is for a given power input. Change the motor and the stall speed will also change.

So, when a manufacturer attaches a certain stall rating to a converter it is an estimate based on assumptions about the engine. They may sell exactly the same converter for say a big block and a small block and it will have a different stall rating for each. Mine, for example, stalls at ~3,800rpm with just the blower. When I use nitrous the stall goes up to ~4,300rpm.

Rich Krause
Old 03-08-2004, 07:07 PM

Well, Rich....looks like you managed to tech talk him out of a convertor. If he would call the manufacturer like I suggested they would have discussed his needs and his plans before recommending a convertor for his needs. Also, each manufacturer rates their convertors at a rpm, such as a 3600 Vigilante for example. I suppose they do it to aid a person in making a decision about which convertor to buy. Actual stall will vary from car to car depending on their setup, as you point out. Vigilante is famous for underrating their "advertised stall speed" much more than any other manufacturer which makes choosing a Vig convertor much more difficult for someone who doesn't know that. A person looking for a convertor in the 3500 "advertised stall speed" range might select a Vig 3600 thinking there was only a very slight difference only to find it's actual stall is over 4000 in most vehicles. That is why anyone buying an aftermarket convertor should consult the manufacturer first. Also, most manufacturers offer at least one free restall with a new convertor. So he can enjoy his convertor now and then have it restalled when he adds more horsepower later.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Gold Z
Well, Rich....looks like you managed to tech talk him out of a convertor. If he would call the manufacturer like I suggested they would have discussed his needs and his plans before recommending a convertor for his needs. Also, each manufacturer rates their convertors at a rpm, such as a 3600 Vigilante for example. I suppose they do it to aid a person in making a decision about which convertor to buy. Actual stall will vary from car to car depending on their setup, as you point out. Vigilante is famous for underrating their "advertised stall speed" much more than any other manufacturer which makes choosing a Vig convertor much more difficult for someone who doesn't know that. A person looking for a convertor in the 3500 "advertised stall speed" range might select a Vig 3600 thinking there was only a very slight difference only to find it's actual stall is over 4000 in most vehicles. That is why anyone buying an aftermarket convertor should consult the manufacturer first. Also, most manufacturers offer at least one free restall with a new convertor. So he can enjoy his convertor now and then have it restalled when he adds more horsepower later.
I agree with your advice. I wasn't trying to talk him out of it, but I suspect if he buys a converter now he will be buying a new one in the near future. As I you know, there is a limit to how much a given converter can be "restalled" which depends, among many other things, on the size.

Rich Krause
Old 03-09-2004, 02:45 PM

I think i'll just call them, i got the trans cooler and drag radials so it would be a waste not to use them.

Thanks guys

he didn't talk me out of it, he's just trying to keep me grounded