Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

TCI=bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:33 PM

TCI=bad

about a month ago i ordered a tci 700-r with reverse manual valve bodies and it was on back order so it took about a month to get to the shop that was putting it in and a couple days for the shop to install everything. Finaly thee shop calls me up last fri and says the cars ready to go, so right after my last class a find a ride home to go pick up the car. I get to the shop and take a quick ride with my mechanic pay the $500 for the labor, fluid, and a few little parts he needed and happily jump into my car that i haven’t driven in almost 2 months. make my way home, just a couple of mile trip only to see smoke. i shut the car down and find that trans fluid is dumping out of the trans dipstick and burning on the headers. at this point im pissed, I pay another $50 for a tow back to the shop only to find out that the brand new trans is faulty and has to be sent back to tci. this is where it gets good, i call tci explain to them that their customer service said that the only thing i could do was box up the new trans that had no more then 8 mins of driving time on it and ship it back to them. i ask how they want to deal with all the costs and they say all they will do for me is fix the trans, so they want to stick me with the cost of removing there shoddy trans, shipping it to them, the shipping for it to get back to me, the new fluid, and the cost to have it installed a second time. now im only 18 and in college so just paying for this trans and install was a huge hit to my bank account and now they want me to pay for their mistakes. am i wrong or should i be upset for them wanting me to pay all this extra money due to them selling me a sub par part that was guaranteed for 90 day under racing applications but couldn’t make it 10 mins of street driving?
sorry for the long rant just had to tell someone.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:12 PM

Re: TCI=bad

Ask to speak to someone higher up.
You may not get anywhere but if you bitch enough they usually do something to remedy the situation. I have had good luck with TCI and I think everyone has problems now and then.
Try going up higher and being nice and if that don,t work then I would pitch a fit.
Make sure it was not the install that was the problem.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:28 PM

If its leaking from the dipstick hole, its bad installation. The only thing on the dipstick it could leak from is the grommet, which is press-fit AFTER the trans is put in. Now it it's coming UP and out the tube, then thats something else entirely

Last edited by Spinner; 09-12-2004 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:17 PM

it was goin right up the tube and out the top with pressure behind it, i ended up sending back to tci. they say that they tore it down and everything was fine any way its on its way back tomorrow so we shall see, i suspect they fixed it and just dont want to take respsonsibility for their mistake. at this point all i want is a running car again with a little money left in my account its been 4 months since i last drove her