Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

T56 doesn't go into gear

Old 05-28-2016, 01:24 PM

T56 doesn't go into gear

Hi everyone happy memorial day. Finally getting back to working on this car again. Last year did a clutch job replaced everything. Drove it for 31 miles exact than the trans started grinding and didn't go into gear properly limped it home and parked. Same thing still it goes into gear when off all gears including reverse good,but when idling and clutch pedal down it grinds and wants to stall no matter what gear. Also the pedal feels like its kinked halfway down,I did bleed a little sorta half assed it,need another person to help. I read many forums and I'm pointing towards mc having air in it or the fork not on good. Btw during the clutch Chane I was present and helping taking the tranny out and putting in the bearing,pp,fw etc.... All torqued correctly installed correctly and Loctite bolts. I wasn't there tho for the tranny going back but all was done right,like I said drove 31 miles and this happened. Any help or thoughts would be great thank you enjoy the holiday and thank all service members. It's a 96 z btw
Old 05-29-2016, 09:39 AM

Angry Re: T56 doesn't go into gear

A.m quick update got a new battery drained old gas have fresh now and runs excellent. Bled the slave last nite and this a.m getting better now but..... With the car running pressing the clutch all the way down it rattles and clunks is this the pilot bearing or clutch fork not on right causing this
Old 05-30-2016, 10:21 AM

Re: T56 doesn't go into gear

from this side of the internet hard to "hear & see" your issue.

Sounds like either your hydraulics are not "completely" bleed (you noted half *** job) or the hydraulics are failing either the MC or slave.

Assume the clutch was installed right and there is nothing wrong with it. The "rattle & clunk" you now hear, IDK. Could be bad clutch or TO bearing or FU install

If you over TQ the PP bolts you won't get full disengagement. Do you know if the PP bolts (and they are specific LT1 PP bolts) are TQ to 22 ft lbs?. any more you will have disengagement issues
Old 06-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Re: T56 doesn't go into gear

Yes chimera 96 everything was installed and torqued properly I did it myself and all lined and went in correct. The pb and to bearing put in correct as was the fork. It did get better after I bled it a few times I will keep doing it more as I do have help now.just another fun day.lol thank you will keep posted
Old 06-11-2016, 04:02 PM

Thumbs up Re: T56 doesn't go into gear

Hello. As of now it's going into gear and moving good,engagemt is better clutch I have to get used to as its still new. Haven't taking out on street yet just in driveway. I have a long driveway so back n forth or now