Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

T-56 Reinstalled...BIG PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:00 AM

T-56 Reinstalled...BIG PROBLEM!

I recently had my transmission rebuilt with new synchros and new 3rd and 4th gears (and whatever else was wrong with it that I wasn't aware of) by a local transmission builder. A month after waiting to get it back, a friend who's done it half a dozen times and myself put it back in my car.

We run it through the gears sitting still and the B&M ripper shifter feels good. We fire up the car and let it warm for about 10 minutes because it had not been started in about a month. I put it in what I thought was reverse, the car backs up out of the garage and down the driveway. I put the car in 1st and give it gas and it doesnt engage in the gear. It's like it wasn't there because the car nearly died as I gave it gas and released the clutch. So I try all of the gears...I have no forward gears. So I throw it over in reverse again and it backs up just fine.

Then my friend gets in the drivers seat and he tries to get it to go. Did the same thing for him. He messed with the shifter long enough from reverse to 1st and it finally decided to find first and go. We went driving around the neighborhood in it and it drove just fine, found all the gears and everything. Then we go into a driveway to turn around and it goes into reverse....then does the same thing as before and doesn't find any gears. He gets in it and it does the same thing to him......I get back in it and I manage to get it to 'find' first and we're off back home. We get it back home in the garage, I put it in reverse again and it does it's thing about where it doesn't find a gear. We continue to mess with it and finally decide to leave it alone because it won't go forward in any gear. It's like it's bound up and it won't do anything but reverse. You try and put it in neutral and it thinks it's STILL in reverse and if you drop the clutch it dies.

I've asked everyone I know that knows anything about these cars and one guy that I know that's fairly knowledgable about these cars informed me that my problem might be caused from the shifter. The shifter is a B&M ripper. But I'm not really sure what condition the shifter is in. There are 2 threaded holes in the front and the back of the shifter that are supposed to hold the shifter stops. The stops aren't there at all. I'm not real sure what else (if anything) is missing from the shifter. We put it back in as we pulled it out.

Could the shifter have to do with this problem? I think I'm going to pick up a stocker today and stick it in and see what happens. If it is the problem I'll probably try and pick up a pro 5.0/lou's short stick combo from afterthoughts auto and return the stocker.

Any suggestions on this would be very helpful. I'll probably end up taking it back to the shop if it's not the shifter and having them deal with it this week.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:49 PM

Check the stop's on the shifter.. you might have them adj. wrong.. could be a problem..