Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Symptoms of broken clutch spring please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 05:11 PM

Symptoms of broken clutch spring please?

I assume that the clutch springs act as a damper when you engage the clutch so that it's not just "engaged" and "disengaged" ? I'm trying top track down a problem with my clutch right now. It's an M6. Aside from having contaminated fluid (which I am going to drain and replace soon, I have no idea why it's black), sometimes the car bucks because as I release the clutch, maybe 1 in 10 times it grabs really quickly and abruptly. The girlfriend doesn't like it!

Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:44 PM

What type of clutch do you have?

Are you using the gm slave/master unit (pre filled, pre bled) - if not you should replace whatever you've got with it before you go pulling the clutch.

I will say that the spec clutches seem to be prone toward springs breaking (at least the stage III's).. but I don't know if that would cause any symptoms other than catastrophic clutch failure..

Speaking from experience my older version stage III just grenaded but all the springs were still intact.. a puck simply broke off right along the springs in the center section... now I can't see how a spring would just "break" under simple compression - now twist or bend it and I think that's possible.. I may be way off here though, it just seems unlikely that a spring would just "break" and if it could somehow I think you'd have a big problem on your hands - nothing intermittent that's for sure.

Hopefully one of the resident experts can chime in here...
Old 12-30-2003, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have no idea what is going on because I was driving around on saturday and suddenly, everything is fine, except now it seems the TO bearing is making a bit more noise at idle. I think the clutch is a stocker, it was replaced by the previous owner but I never found out what it was. I'm using the mcleod adjustable master cylinder, and as indicated in a previous post, the fluid kept turning black after I got stuck in a hot traffic jam in the summer.

I'm confused but suddenly it seems to be fine, I think the best bet would be to replace the slave cylinder and see what happens from there.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:48 AM

you can't just replace the slave to my knowledge.. I've heard from several reputable sources that aftermarket slaves are junk and the only way to go is with the gm unit (master & slave) which comes as one pre bled prefilled piece..

I would try replacing the mcleod master and stock slave witht the gm unit first - it's not too much work and is definately cheaper and easier than pulling the clutch.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:46 AM

I should try that then, since I still have a good master/slave from GM.

Thanks