Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Swapping rear ends

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 12:57 PM

Swapping rear ends

putting in a rear end out of an LS1 SS into my 96Z and was wondering if it will bolt right up. not sure the SS had traction control or not. or does it matter
Old 06-25-2006, 01:02 PM

Re: Swapping rear ends

First, do a search.

Second;
Yes it will bolt up if both cars did, or did not have TC. If one had one, and the other has another it will not work. The non-TC vehicles had one sensor on top of the axle pumpkin.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator

You have to match the number of ABS/TCS sensors to your car. If the car has ABS only, its has a 3-channel system, with two sensors for the front wheels and a single sensor on the top of the differential housing, reading a reluctor wheel on the differential carrier. If the car has ABS + TCS it uses a 4-channel system, with 2 sensors in the rear, mounted on the axle housing end plates, and reading small reluctors pressed on the axles behind the hubs. The two systems are not interchangeable. The 3-channel system has a single brake line that "tees" to the rear brakes, the 4-channel system has dual brake lines to the rear.

You also have to consider the brakes. The 98+ e-brake is different. The best thing to do is swap the brakes from your car onto the new axle assembly.

Physically, all the connections are the same - LCA's, panhard rod, springs, shocks, sway bar.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
First, do a search.
i did. ive been here since 2001, i know how to use the search thank you...

i was just hoping this would be a straight swap. is there a way to get around the TC issue?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You have to match the number of ABS/TCS sensors to your car. If the car has ABS only, its has a 3-channel system, with two sensors for the front wheels and a single sensor on the top of the differential housing, reading a reluctor wheel on the differential carrier. If the car has ABS + TCS it uses a 4-channel system, with 2 sensors in the rear, mounted on the axle housing end plates, and reading small reluctors pressed on the axles behind the hubs. The two systems are not interchangeable. The 3-channel system has a single brake line that "tees" to the rear brakes, the 4-channel system has dual brake lines to the rear.

You also have to consider the brakes. The 98+ e-brake is different. The best thing to do is swap the brakes from your car onto the new axle assembly.

Physically, all the connections are the same - LCA's, panhard rod, springs, shocks, sway bar.
thanks man. gonna go find out if the other car has TC. my car does not.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

I think the reason he suggested a "search" is because virtually the exact same question was posted in the past week, and I know I posted the same answer. It does get frustrating to people when they see the same questions over and over. I'm often tempted to just ignore posts when I know the answer is already available. In the "Wheels and Tires" section, Brent and I have added an FAQ, but people don't even bother to read that before asking a question for the 1,000th time.

http://64.65.63.61/forums/showthread.php?t=457612

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-25-2006 at 01:37 PM.