Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Street Twin break in question please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 03:07 PM

Street Twin break in question please...

So is 500 miles on my new Street Twin enough to start romping on it, or should I put some more miles on it? Thanks....

Ken R 95Z
Old 01-12-2004, 08:34 PM

yeah, let it rip Hopefully u have something other then 10 bolt in the back
Old 01-26-2004, 03:12 PM

How do you like the street twin so far? I'm hoping to get my car soon. If I get the stick, I'm looking at a street twin before the STS. I'm just not sure how the twin is for daily driving, almost all stop and go. How is it from a dead stop and how good do you have to be with rpm matching to avoid jerking the car? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:20 PM

The Twin is a great clutch.. but like xxsaint mentioned.. better have some beef in the rear.. Twin will eat that rear and spit it out.. its very aggresive.. but its very streetable and i love mine.. wouldn't put anything else in my car...
Old 01-26-2004, 07:00 PM

How good do you have to be with rpm matching to make the ride enjoyable instead of feeling like the inside of a paint mixer? You might say that rpm matching isn't exactly my strong suit.
Since this will be my daily driver, almost total city driving, I need to make sure that it won't take the comfort out of my daily ride and replace it with irritation. I want to buy a clutch once and only once. That's why I'm looking at the twin. I wish somebody around here had one and would take me for a ride, but I don't think anyone has one near me. Same goes for a higher stall t/c.
Thanks, Don.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:13 PM

that all depends on you.. I can drive it and you'd never know it was anything but stock.. Then you can get in it and make my teeth fall out and my neck snap.. Take up is abrupt but can be modulated really easily.. My advice would be to get a mcleod single disk. it offer's the capability to hold more power and stock like driveability..
Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 PM

No, no, no. Lie to me. Anything. I can drive a low powered light weight stick, but I'm no pro. I guess I never bothered to learn more than I needed to. I guess it's time, though. During the learning curve, I'm likely to break half my car. Oh, well. It's encouraging to know that it CAN (not necessarily WILL) be a smooth ride, with some effort.
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm not afraid to learn and go through some irritation, just so long as I know that what I want IS possible with some work. I'll just have to work until I get there. Thanks again.
Now I need to find out how to learn the right way to drive a high powered car with the twin.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:46 PM

Thanks. Everyone seems to love their twin. No one complains about it, except to say it wil destroy the rear end. I would expect that from a really hard clampling clutch. I guess I'll be getting the stick, now that I know I can get an ultra tough clutch and still maintain my streetability. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 AM

I think I had maybe 50 or 100 miles on mine before I started romping on it, and it looked just fine the last time I got the "opportunity" to take a peak at it.

It did take a while before it broke-in to the point were it was smooth in daily-driving use.

Rev-matching is just something that you'll need to learn. Keep in mind that it's really fun to do when you've got a motor that wants to pick up revs quickly, and sounds good doing it