Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Stock Read_end

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 02:35 PM

Exclamation Stock Read_end

The guy I bought my car off of said that he would recommend me getting a new rear end if I wanted to run at the track, which i do. He said I would most likely blow it out with slicks which I plan on using in the future. What does he exactly mean by blowing it up?

Do I have to buy a whole new rear-end or is there any way I could make my stock 10bolt stronger??

-kevin
Old 11-18-2004, 03:28 PM

Re: Stock Read_end

you can make the 10 bolt stronger but it's a waste. Get yourself a good 12 bolt or 9 in. Strange and Moser both make bolt in12 bolts, but I've heard of issues with Moser's Eaton Posi's. On the other side I haven't heard a thing about the Strange's. Moser also makes the bolt in 9in. Very good, but eats up more HP than a 12 bolt. If you're going completely crazy in a motor build and you're looking for more than 8 or 900 HP than get the 9in. if you're going to stay under that a 12 bolt will suit you just fine. And the 12 bolt will handle just about anything you throw at it.

Good luck
Chris
Old 11-18-2004, 03:42 PM

Re: Stock Read_end

There are a lot of things that can "blow up" or go in the stock 10 bolt. In the order in which 10 bolt parts usually seem to break I would say:

1. Gears
2. Posi unit
3. Axles.

Thats the three main weaknesses with the stock 10 bolt. The small 7.5 in ring & pinion breaking is the most common. With an auto car I wouldnt be too worried about it if you beef it up a bit unless you plan on a lot of serious racing on slicks. Plus auto cars are much easier on the rear than manuals. The most usefull and cost effective things you can add to signifigantly improve the life of your 10 bolt rear are:

1. A solid pinion spacer
2. A heavy duty rear end cover with support studs
3. A set of main bearing support studs

You could also upgrade the posi and axles but that gets expensive and they really dont go as often as the gears. The three things above will all help keep the gears in alignment under launch and help reduce the chance of breaking them.

Other options are replacing the entire rear end housing with an aftermarket rear like a Moser 12 bolt or 9". They cost around $2k or more new though, the above three mods would cost about $200 new for parts. Fwiw, I made close to 100 passes on my stock 10 bolt with 4:10 gears and those 3 mods and it held up fine before I upgraded to a 9". It wasnt going to hold forever, but it held.