Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Spec Stage 2 clutch and Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:41 PM

Spec Stage 2 clutch and Q's

Hello the clutch in my camaro is going and i want to replace it with a spec stage 2 clutch my question is will i need to replace anything if i order this clutch? Like flywheel etc? Or is it gunna be a direct replacement? Thanks for the info guys
Old 03-21-2005, 01:06 AM

Re: Spec Stage 2 clutch and Q's

depends on your flywheel condition, i swapped flywheel while i was at it... if can afford it, might as well.. mine was bad...

i put spec 3 in it... and yea, its a direct replacement...

pretty easy

cory
Old 03-21-2005, 01:48 AM

It will bolt right in. However...

Resurface your stock flywheel or buy a new one. Of course, if you get a spec clutch it will tell you that in the directions, but it's pretty important that you do. Also, don't touch the clutch by the friction material, if you do by accident, spray it with brake cleaner and wipe it off. And do the same for the flywheel when you install it. Clutches are worse than brakes when it comes to oil and grease. Those are the major pitfalls, anyway...
Old 03-21-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by GreenDemon
It will bolt right in. However...

Resurface your stock flywheel or buy a new one. Of course, if you get a spec clutch it will tell you that in the directions, but it's pretty important that you do. Also, don't touch the clutch by the friction material, if you do by accident, spray it with brake cleaner and wipe it off. And do the same for the flywheel when you install it. Clutches are worse than brakes when it comes to oil and grease. Those are the major pitfalls, anyway...

ok so i need a new flywheel. I am not going to attempt this myself since i dont have a stand for the tranny nor the experience. I was just going to buy the clutch and take it to my local tranny guy. I just wanted to make sure i have all the parts
Old 03-21-2005, 01:46 PM

Ok now my second question do i really need a spec stage 2 for street strp application? I would like my car to eventually get 400 rwhp so would i need a stage 1 or 2 clutch? Also at LS1SPEED.com i was looking for flywheels and they had a Gm High Carbon billet flywheel (addon to clutch) $199.99which i thought was a better deal then the $230 spec steel flywheel. Do you think the carbon fiber one will hold up or do you think that i will need to stick with the spec?

Sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure i get this all right the first time.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM

why not get the stage 3? i think its basically the same price, and its easy to drive... my gf drove it fine.. and she doesnt even know how to drive a stick...

its easy... feels like stock(preasure wise) but grips goood.

edit: and if you plan on 400 hp id say get stage 3....

cory
Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 PM

im going with a spec stage 2 when my clutch dies... i think its also easier to get a flywheel resurface, because i have heard with aluminum or carbon flywheels the engine rotation is compromised due to a lighter weight, and starting off in gear is much tougher...
Old 03-21-2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by LT-14me
ok so i need a new flywheel. I am not going to attempt this myself since i dont have a stand for the tranny nor the experience. I was just going to buy the clutch and take it to my local tranny guy. I just wanted to make sure i have all the parts
LOL you don't resurface the flywheel yourself you get a shop to do it, should be pretty cheap. It's similar to getting the rotors "turned", all you're doing is getting a new flat surface for the clutch to ride on. Also if you're planning on 400 rwhp definitely go stage 3. Don't skimp on the clutch or you'll be sorry.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by GreenDemon
LOL you don't resurface the flywheel yourself you get a shop to do it, should be pretty cheap. It's similar to getting the rotors "turned", all you're doing is getting a new flat surface for the clutch to ride on. Also if you're planning on 400 rwhp definitely go stage 3. Don't skimp on the clutch or you'll be sorry.

Thanks for the help guys i appreciate it. Yeah at tybrn a stage 2 is 389 and a stage 3 is 419. So i will prob go with the stage 3. How much do you think it will cost to resurface the flywheel?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:58 PM

I stoped at a machine shop today after work and they wanted $35 to resurface mine. Another guy quoted me $70, so i guess you need to look around and get some prices from a few machine shops. The one that charged me $70 was fromt he guy thats going to put my clutch in, so i'm sure he marked it up to make some more money, but i'll just take the fly wheel to the other guy to save some money.