Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

so i think my clutch may be slipping

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

so i think my clutch may be slipping

i think my camaros clutch may be slipping,

ive watched videos of stock camaros like mine with nothing more then a cold air intake and they can bounce off the rev limiter straight off the line.

and can lay rubber through 2nd gear,

my SES light is on and came back with #3 os sensor, and i know i have an exposed plug wire that really needs replaced, could those be causing my lack of power issues??

also from a cold start car has no *****! i can hold the rpms at 3500 dump it and it will spin for 1/2 a turn and then just bog out sputter and lightly backfire,

im thinking tune up and an o2 sensor???

the plugs and wires were just swapped out, msd wires and the plugs idk about..

any input is thanked!!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Re: so i think my clutch may be slipping

You don't have a #3 "os" (O2) sensor on either of the cars in your signature.

And you are upset because the engine has no guts when you do 3,500RPM clutch dumps on a cold engine?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Banned

why does everyone on here like to insult one another? i came on here to get answers about whats going on with my car, not to be talked down to...

so, with that being said, if any mods have a problem with me and the way i do things with my cars simply erase my account, because im pretty fed up with some of the people and mods on here,

and on my "cold engine" in my buddies 94 lt1 firebird with his t-56 he can roast his tires from a cold start up like mine does when its warm,

and his car is 100% stock, mine is not anymore, cats been deleted and a CAI has been installed along with a 40 series flowmaster,

and wow i typoed "o2" with "os" were human here lighten up alittle...

if the world were perfect no one would get fired or be an a$$hole,

and dont try and tell me not to substitute "$$" for the two S' in that word, because its done on here ALL THE TIME!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyk3lly
i think my camaros clutch may be slipping,

ive watched videos of stock camaros like mine with nothing more then a cold air intake and they can bounce off the rev limiter straight off the line.

and can lay rubber through 2nd gear,

my SES light is on and came back with #3 os sensor, and i know i have an exposed plug wire that really needs replaced, could those be causing my lack of power issues??

also from a cold start car has no *****! i can hold the rpms at 3500 dump it and it will spin for 1/2 a turn and then just bog out sputter and lightly backfire,

im thinking tune up and an o2 sensor???

the plugs and wires were just swapped out, msd wires and the plugs idk about..

any input is thanked!!
I'm slightly confused from your post- were the wires and plugs swapped out with new or used parts?

If you have an exposed plug wire I would say that is likely a good place to start. If doesn't take much of a break in the wire for the spark to jump and if you have exposed wires I'm sure its not good.

If your clutch were slipping your RPM's would increase without your MPH increasing with them. You would likely have a burning smell with it if you were really slipping the clutch hard. Its hard to tell if your car isn't running like it should however.

Once you get your car running right- try and start out in 4th gear. If the car bogs down really hard the clutch is likely grabbing like it should. Also, not to condone doing donuts or reckless driving, but get your car moving around 10-15mph in first and try to bring the back around by turning the wheel and punching it. If the rpms jump up without the car breaking loose the clutch isn't holding. Again- do all this safely and responsibly. Don't just start ripping donuts all over.

And as far as your second post- not everyone here likes to insult one another. There are a few who like to like to be keyboard bullies, but overall it seems pretty respectful forum IMO. If you make a grammar mistake Injuneer will likely make a point to correct it. And I believe he was trying to understand the point of your post since it was titled "Clutch slipping" but seemed to more about the fact the car doesn't have ***** on a cold start up. Which- BTW- doing clutch dumps and burnouts on a cold engine probably isn't helping the life of your engine. While I can't say it will shorten the life of your motor, I know its not good for 2 strokes or forced induction motors, so one can likely assume its not necessarily the best practice on a stock motor either. But its your car, do as you wish.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Cold engine, I'd do nothing but idle, regardless of your friend's car. Give the car a chance to wake up, settle down, and get lubricated. I yell at my wife for the same thing in her car. She cranks it up and is already pulling out of the driveway in the same motion. I always ask if she'd like it if I woke her up in the middle of the night and just started banging away at her with no warning or warmup......

My car takes about a minute or so before the idle seems to smooth out and I can actually think about moving the throttle. This is in any temp below 70 degrees. Summertime it is ready and waiting. Could be the tune I have.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bobbyk3lly
why does everyone on here like to insult one another? i came on here to get answers about whats going on with my car, not to be talked down to...

so, with that being said, if any mods have a problem with me and the way i do things with my cars simply erase my account, because im pretty fed up with some of the people and mods on here,

and on my "cold engine" in my buddies 94 lt1 firebird with his t-56 he can roast his tires from a cold start up like mine does when its warm,

and his car is 100% stock, mine is not anymore, cats been deleted and a CAI has been installed along with a 40 series flowmaster,

and wow i typoed "o2" with "os" were human here lighten up alittle...

if the world were perfect no one would get fired or be an a$$hole,

and dont try and tell me not to substitute "$$" for the two S' in that word, because its done on here ALL THE TIME!
Bobby.... you really need to grow up.

I pointed out that you don't have a #3 O2 sensor? What about that? How can anyone answer your question when it makes no sense. Or was "#3" another "typo" that we are supposed to "lighten up" on, and know what you really meant?

And I was just verifying that you test your engine by doing 3,500RPM clutch dumps when it is cold. That's EXACTLY what you said you did. No mention of your buddy's car, no mention of yours being warm and his being cold. If that's the way you treat your car, what's the point in trying to help you.

I won't "erase" your account, but it there is anything you don't like about this site, you can feel free to simply not post. Every time you post, you come across as a real drama queen, and end up in an arguement with someone.

PS: PLEASE do not override the language filter.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

Injuneer

im only stating what my code reader book told me... when i get a chance ill take my code sheet out and post them, and "drama queen?" i just dont like when people just rudly comment about something on here, ill admit I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING, thats why I am on here. TO LEARN, it just seems that 70% of people think they are better then one another, when thats not the case,

we are all here to be a community and work together, not argue and fight... so Injuneer
i appologise for the rudeness,.. their was no excusse for it,
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Powersource
Cold engine, I'd do nothing but idle, regardless of your friend's car. Give the car a chance to wake up, settle down, and get lubricated. I yell at my wife for the same thing in her car. She cranks it up and is already pulling out of the driveway in the same motion. I always ask if she'd like it if I woke her up in the middle of the night and just started banging away at her with no warning or warmup......

My car takes about a minute or so before the idle seems to smooth out and I can actually think about moving the throttle. This is in any temp below 70 degrees. Summertime it is ready and waiting. Could be the tune I have.
XD yeah true, i got the plug wire fixed, man i didnt know it was this bad, it was cut almost in half, when i first seen it, it was only just getting from the red coating to barley showing the white.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
I'm slightly confused from your post- were the wires and plugs swapped out with new or used parts?

If you have an exposed plug wire I would say that is likely a good place to start. If doesn't take much of a break in the wire for the spark to jump and if you have exposed wires I'm sure its not good.

If your clutch were slipping your RPM's would increase without your MPH increasing with them. You would likely have a burning smell with it if you were really slipping the clutch hard. Its hard to tell if your car isn't running like it should however.

Once you get your car running right- try and start out in 4th gear. If the car bogs down really hard the clutch is likely grabbing like it should. Also, not to condone doing donuts or reckless driving, but get your car moving around 10-15mph in first and try to bring the back around by turning the wheel and punching it. If the rpms jump up without the car breaking loose the clutch isn't holding. Again- do all this safely and responsibly. Don't just start ripping donuts all over.

And as far as your second post- not everyone here likes to insult one another. There are a few who like to like to be keyboard bullies, but overall it seems pretty respectful forum IMO. If you make a grammar mistake Injuneer will likely make a point to correct it. And I believe he was trying to understand the point of your post since it was titled "Clutch slipping" but seemed to more about the fact the car doesn't have ***** on a cold start up. Which- BTW- doing clutch dumps and burnouts on a cold engine probably isn't helping the life of your engine. While I can't say it will shorten the life of your motor, I know its not good for 2 strokes or forced induction motors, so one can likely assume its not necessarily the best practice on a stock motor either. But its your car, do as you wish.
the plug wires were brand new msd's and the plugs were new, but i have put about 1500 or more miles on these since ive bought the car so, ill just pick up some new plugs and wires for it, and see if that chenges anything,

and as far as the starting off in 4th gear thing, should the car be at normal operating temp?

and as for the dounuts, ive done that already but i wasnt looking at how fast i was going, but when i punched it it whipped around fast enough to bounce my friends head off the back plastic panel, and i had about 450lbs in the back where the t tops would go, and not to mention the two people in the back seat,
Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

this is what im talking about guys,

his cars all stock and he can do **** like this

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=2301& transactionid=1325448905-712275535&posted_by=bobbyk3lly_www.camaroz28.com&y outube_video_id=4-8lV3JUNn4[/autostream]
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Look at a Spec 4 solid hub with 3 puck friction pad.
I may go with this next.
I'm slipping a Spec 3 under a down shift and heavy throttle on the roll.
The Spec 3 is new but I don't think it is seated quite yet.
All behind a 383ci and 14 psi boost/ 3.83:1 moser an 315 Nitto NT05 rubber.
B.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 PM

Were's the video of this bonehead wrecking?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

you talking about me being the bonehead? because i can handle my cars very well
Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 PM

Yes,if your doing that in traffic,like the video shows.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Banned

oh no i wouldnt do that in traffic, my friend is nuts,

Quick Reply: so i think my clutch may be slipping