Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Shifting Noise 00 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 PM

Thumbs up Shifting Noise 00 WS6

2000 WS6 6spd had the car for about a month and has only 55,000miles. Just wanted to know if anyone else notices if you let the clutch out a little sloppy or fast you hear like a part shaking or something, strange noise loud i think. I live in NY and there are pot holes and it sucks sometimes it makes me let the clutch out a lil fast besides the Skip shift which sucks because i am used to shifting under 2kRPM and super slow from 1st to any gear because it kicks on randomly it seems it does it always at like 15 mph to me or under 20 and then it sounds like a semi! and it also sort of trained me so to shift super slow lol... any ways also everything is stock but an air lid and it has a steady engine temp of like 210 which seems high to me. is it unsafe? doesnt have any free mods done either. any ideas to help ? anyone no the exact size hose i need for TB by pass i tried to search for it but i only get just a hose and no specifics! thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 PM

I have an LT1 with a Borg-Warner T-56. So this may not be the same. However, with your described symptoms, I had a similar situation where the Pilot bushing at the center of the flywheel was wearing out, and eventually blew apart. GM now puts a bearing in there. Not sure if your's is set up the same.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 PM

well mostly maybe when i try to get good gas mileage and skip a gear and then hit the bump, so not as much when i go into the up coming gear but when i try to drive with like my friends mom in the car and i dont want her to think i race and do bad things(its a mom)( i dont anyways but) so i keep the R's down to make it not as loud and not as head bouncing. This is the first car i ever owned and driving as much as i have that is MANUAL, so i am doing good i would say but certain things i dont no. Like its not bad if you let the clutch out like i have been saying but sometimes my head moves and it makes me feel like i seem to not no what i am doing because you would figure you shouldnt feel the shifts. anyways rememeber i never had a manaul, but i know i am doing it good! thanks any other things i should know go for it thanks so much so far!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:37 AM

What you're hearing is spark knock from trying to pull too low of an rpm range and probably some being caused by carbon build up on the pistons.
Get a skip shift eliminator or get a tuner to turn this function off. In the interim, if the skip shift light comes on just pull the car into neutral and wait about a second then put it in second where it belongs.
Get some Seafoam and clean out that motor (do a search for it on this site and you can find the instructions).
The coolant temp will always show 210 on a 99 and up f-body it's programmed in the PCM to do that. No worries 'till it gets up in the 240 range.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 PM

OK, well i also notice when i am in Neutral and rolling to a stop i hear like a strange noise but its slows down with the car, I just want to make sure everything is fine and i am shifting nicely. If you are trying to get good gas mileage give me some examples of shifting. I go from 1-3-5 and i am in 5 at like 35 is that good? it sits at like 1,000rpm @30 or is it consuming more gas because more engine load? THanks. just want to make sure i think i am getting 22MPG but i drive alot on Highway well to work. I get like 170 miles on 7.5 gallons of 93, thats like $25. sounds normal? i wish i had the 28 like it claims lol. thanks any tips i am free to hear them or read. thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 AM

In my opinion your lugging it too much and that can cause worse mileage than letting it rev more under less load. I ease into the gas and shift at about 2400-2600 rpm and use all of the gears and I always use a gear that keeps the cruise revs at 1500-1600 or higher regardless of the speed. We get 25 mpg or so average with the SS and around 27 mpg with the 'vette driving them in this manner.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 PM

skiping gears is bad for the transmission, and i completely question why the hell skip shift is there, you know a transmission is a device that transmits force into the axles, so just like climbing stairs you take it one at a time, shure you can jump two or three but that puts even more stress on your legs and back, the same applies to a car. i used to skip the gears alot but not in my TA but in my QUAD TURBO Columbia, untill i realised that it was putting more force on the cluth and it was taking for ever to speed up.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Retired

There's no point in skipping gears and lugging the car around.... you'll get worse fuel mileage. Your injectors pulse more when the motor is at a low RPM load than when they are at a mid-rpm jog.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM

I would get a skip shift eliminator immeadiately. I think the noise you are hearing is clutch chattering because of letting the clutch out slow. No reason to let the clutch out so slowly it chatters. Let it out faster.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 PM

I drive my car like I stole it and haven't seen the MPG dip down below maybe 22MPG. Lugging it is going to cause a problem.

Skip shift is a really big annoyance, get an eliminator ASAP.

The noise could also be shifter noise. My Pro 5.0 in my '96 did it, and so does my stock Hurst in my '99. It sounds like the shifters rattling. Also a common problem.

If thats not the noise, it could be the usual T56 input shaft noise. All 3 of my fbodies have done it, and I've heard its also normal.

In '99 and up, the temp gauge isn't a gauge anymore, its just an advisory. When it goes up to 210, its just at "normal". It could be 185, 200, 210, etc.. its just the "right spot".

Get the throttle body bypass hose from BMR fabrication. Its like 20$ shipped and saves you some gas running around.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM

Also. would getting a pro 5.0 shifter make it easier to miss a shift or harder? Sometimes i will get to a red light go to put it in 1st at a dead stop and feels like something is keep it from going in. so i put it in 3rd and then back to 1st and sometimes it helps and i can put it in 1st again. also when i go to put it in reverse it is sometimes hard. Any ideas what the problem is? thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Also. would getting a pro 5.0 shifter make it easier to miss a shift or harder? Sometimes i will get to a red light go to put it in 1st at a dead stop and feels like something is keep it from going in. so i put it in 3rd and then back to 1st and sometimes it helps and i can put it in 1st again. also when i go to put it in reverse it is sometimes hard. Any ideas what the problem is? thanks.
Sounds like either the clutch or tranny..
Old 08-23-2007, 04:19 PM

whats a good skip shift eliminator? thats cheaper? sorry to sound broke but i am. first car payment lol. But just got paided but only bi weekly so. I just want to have fun with it but cause no problems to anything.. so if a pro 5.0 shifter good and safe from missing a shift? thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Pro 5.0 is a good thing to have.. I never missed a shift with it on my '96. You can get a skip shift eliminator for like 50$.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
It all depends on what you like. Personally, I hate short-throw shifters on T-56 transmissions.

You get more leverage with a longer throw and it will go into gear with less force.

Quick Reply: Shifting Noise 00 WS6