Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Shift Kit

I am thinking of buying a 96 Z28. I test drove it yesterday and have a question. The owner had the tranny rebuilt not to long ago and says it has a stage 2 shift kit. It is my first experience driving an a4 with a kit on it. It shifts hard and from what I have searched on the boards that is normal.

My question is if I wanted to get it removed could I? I don't know what they had to do to get it installed so I don't know if it is something that can be taken out.

I have read some mixed comments on kits. Some say they are good, some say that they wear your tranny prematurely. Is it something I should just leave in and learn to live with the shifts? I don't know what brand kit he has. I will have to look at his paperwork and find out.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:39 PM

Has anyone on the boards not like the shift kit and returned it back to stock? Or is it a once you got it stick with it?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:45 PM

I believe it depends on the rebuild (clutches, modulator, line pressure), normally you can just run a plate between the valvebody for a traditional shift kit so I guess if you pull the valvebody and put a stock plate in you would get normal shifts. But like I said they are many different was to get a "shift kit" for a 4l60E.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:26 AM

If your transmission shifts somewhat hard at part throttle in 2nd & 3rd gears, then it is most likely the programming has been redone to increase line pressures at part throttle openings, and this would have to be addressed by whoever you use for computer programming to solve the hard shifts. If the 1-2 part throttle shift is the one that is hard, and if it has the TransGo Shift kit in it, then most likely the spacers were installed under the second gear accumulator housing to get this firm part throttle shift. You do not need to remove the valve body to do this, just the second gear accumulator housing. It is located in the back and separate of the valve body on the passenger side of the transmission. It is held in with three bolts. Carefully remove the accumulator so as to not rip the gasket. If it is the Transgo setup, you will find a Orange spring first, the piston, then a Blue spring, spring seat, and the spacers. Remove all of the spacers, and reinstall everything in reverse order. This should soften the 1-2 part throttle shift.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info. Yeah the shift from 1-2 is the hardest. It is not so hard after that. But from 1-2 it will chirp the tires, even with the ASR on.