Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Satisfied CPT + Fuddle Customer

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 PM

Satisfied CPT + Fuddle Customer

After reading all of the other comments from satisfied customers of CPT I know that I can say this about the transmission without putting 10k miles of harsh abuse into it and having it blow up on me.

Last Wednesday I got my race built transmission from Frank back, threw a new fuddle 3000 converter on the front and bolted it all back up.
I had been being nice to it for a day or two, but Friday and Saturday I put them through their paces.
Stalled up launches until I hooked them hard on the stickiest wheel jerking, transmission breaking, tire tearing nastiest stickiest road I could find. 1-2 shifts of hooking and lighting them and every throttle attempt I could make, got sideways with her a few times, took it up to triple digits a few times and everything in between. I'm very very pleased. She shifts fast and kicks like a rented mule.

I have to say, after having used a B&M 2800 converter that actually stalled at around 3200 due to the 400 ft lbs of torque I put into this transmission from 2000-5000 RPM, and looking at the smaller in diameter and shorter in height Fuddle converter for 1/3 more cost I questioned the sanity. But let me tell you there was a big difference. On their website they discuss the lag time from shifting gears on these things and how their converters stack up against the competition as far as literally feeling the power come back to the drivewheels after the shift. The old B&M felt like 1/2 a second, this fuddle combined with the valve body job on the shift kit for the transmission is like quick-shifting a manual without using a clutch!

Great products from both companies. I thought service was kinda slow on both ends, but I can easily accept that considering the amount of volume they have due to their products.

Franks honesty, professionalism, and the actual time he takes to talk it over with you on the phone from what you want, to what was wrong with your tranny, and what you plan on doing with it and how he can make that happen is what definitely sold me the first time I called him.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Service Slow on Frank's end?!?! I called frank at 9:30 PM my first night out to the track with the trans with a question for him and expected to have to leave a message... nope Frank answered my call and answered my question that very moment.

The only thing that really slowed my trans down being built Frank actually told me about it before my trans got to him, that it was a very good possibility.

I love my CPT/Yank combination hopefully I will have a better tune on the car some time this week and be able to hit the track up Wendsday or Friday.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:28 PM

Well, I had to have somethign negative, or the disillusioned skeptic reader would claim I was a poor proponent. Service was always fast in that regard, but turnaround time from tranny leaving my place to getting it back was around a month and a half.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by aifilaw
turnaround time from tranny leaving my place to getting it back was around a month and a half.
At that time, we were working with a 3 week turn-around time. We had the transmission done in around that amount of time, but the delivery of our shipping containers delayed it for a few more days. Our regular contact at our parts distributor was out having gall bladder surgery, so we had a couple parts orders messed up. Thankfully, things have settled down a little now, and we're back to our normal 1 week turn-around time.
When you've got a reputation for being the best, work tends to build up at times. We're honestly sorry about taking so long on yours. We also make it our rule to not rush through anything, just to get it out the door. Our reputation for how well our transmissions work and last are more valuable than missing a dead line by a week or two You just caught us at a bad time.
We're happy to hear that you like the way the transmission and converter work.

Thanks,
Frank
CPT
Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 PM

I'd rather wait on quality any day.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox

+1
Old 07-30-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
ditto in spades, read above and you see it wasn't a complaint.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:56 PM

Glad to see another happy CPT customer..

And to just add a note, Frank does spend a lot of time talking to customers at all hours, I remember talking to him late some nights myself, his customer service is great. At times work does back up a little, but then again the results are well worth the wait, and he normally lets you know about it ahead of time...
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 PM

well, fact is with my old setup I was used to swapping out stock tranny mounts every year (around 6k miles). If I ever splurged on a poly mount it lasted about a year and a half.

I had put a new one in about 50 miles before I pulled the tranny and sent it off to CPT.....

and now within 150 miles... well, see for yourselves...
crappy GM design...

and yes, it split in both directions

Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Stock mounts are garbage. I sent my trans to Frank with a split in half poly mount and it came back to me with a brand new poly mount. I was surprised at that when I saw it, I was more impressed with that than having my trans back in general, lol.