Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Roller pilot bearing install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Roller pilot bearing install?

On the back of the card for my pilot bearing, it says to use a press, and not to use a hammer and tap it in.

How am I supposed to do this? Motor is in the car, cant I just find a punch or socket that fits around the O.D. of the bearing and tap it in?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:36 PM

Re: Roller pilot bearing install?

ttt? If it was a bushing I would just bang it in, but I dont wanna destroy this thing.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:05 PM

Use a socket. You should be fine. Just make sure you have it going in straight and have it the right direction.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:46 AM

As stated above, use a socket to tap it in straight. Make sure the socket mates with the outer portion of the bearing flange.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:50 PM

No offense but this is not good advice...I just tried using a socket and hammer and it destroyed my new pilot bearing...just a warning for anyone else who searches and finds this.

Does anyone have any advice other than this?

Last edited by Meccadeth; 08-28-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
No offense but this is not good advice...I just tried using a socket and hammer and it destroyed my new pilot bearing...just a warning for anyone else who searches and finds this.

Does anyone have any advice other than this?
Use the right sized socket, and be carefull. Ive never hurt one installing it. You're just not having very good luck with pilot bearings are you
Old 08-28-2005, 09:10 PM

Try throwing the bearing in the freezer before you install it. Done a couple of these before and found freezing to be alittle easier to tap into place.

Dave
Old 09-04-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Josh'95Z28conv
Use the right sized socket, and be carefull. Ive never hurt one installing it. You're just not having very good luck with pilot bearings are you
I did...I used one that was the same diameter and I even used a rag in between the socket and the bearing to try and prevent any nicks and it still didn't work. I did get it in there a little bit but the bearing just got all messed up and won't even roll anymore. I think next time I'm just going to try a small block of wood.
Originally Posted by Prince
Try throwing the bearing in the freezer before you install it. Done a couple of these before and found freezing to be alittle easier to tap into place.

Dave
Hey! Good Idea....I just hope it doesn't cause any warpage or anything...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 PM

Well, I'm about to put my order in for pilot bearing number freak'n 3 This is bullsh*T! I tried the freezer and the peice of wood and guess what? It STILL didn't work! I've warped this new pilot bearing too. I don't understand why the hell this isn't working...non of my friends know what to do...no mechanics know what to do...non of you know what to do...my car is just a freak'n paper weight now. There's absolutely NOTHING that can be done to fix this car except buy a new engine and I'll be damned if I have to scrap a perfectly good engine just because of a freak'n pilot bearing.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
Well, I'm about to put my order in for pilot bearing number freak'n 3 This is bullsh*T! I tried the freezer and the peice of wood and guess what? It STILL didn't work! I've warped this new pilot bearing too. I don't understand why the hell this isn't working...non of my friends know what to do...no mechanics know what to do...non of you know what to do...my car is just a freak'n paper weight now. There's absolutely NOTHING that can be done to fix this car except buy a new engine and I'll be damned if I have to scrap a perfectly good engine just because of a freak'n pilot bearing.
Have you tried using some very fine sand paper and sanding the inside of the crank? Why not just use a bushing and be done with it?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM

I have not tried this so please be careful if you take the suggestion.

Instead of sandpaper, buy a small drum brake wheel cylinder hone. They are designed to self center and make a nice smooth true surface.

With an accurate gage you could check to see how tight the press fit is.

The bearing may be off, you might need a different brand.

Anyway I think the hone could be used to slowly open up the bore.

Be sure to check for burs that might be stopping the bearing from going in.

You need to be careful, if you go too far, have to pull the crank.

Z28
Old 09-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Ive used the socket method alot and I work at a tranny shop. Never really had a problem doing this. Like someone else said, make sure the crank hole is nice and clean, you may have debris or rust buildup, or clutch dust buildup in there. Try a bearing from another store or something also next time. This isnt a hard task to accomplish believe me, its not rocket science. The socket needs to be as close to the outside diameter of the bearing as you can get without being larger. Try using a drop of motor oil on your finger and lube the crank hole, but when i say a drop i mean a drop, hardly any, you dont want that thing sliding back and forth in there.