Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Rear end suggestions for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Rear end suggestions for autocross?

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for some advice about the rear end in my 86 z28 camaro. I've just started doing auto cross in my camaro. This past weekend was my first event in fact, but I've really fallen in love with it. But I've also discovered some of the problems with my car in doing it. The event I went to this past weekend was a novice event and my instructor told me some of the things I should look into doing to my car. Mainly I need to work on suspension to get my steering response better, but I've got a call in to Mr Strano at stranoparts.com to talk to him about that.

One of the other problems is my rear end, I don't have any form of posi so I'm not getting as good of traction as I could be. So I want to put something on my car with some form of posi traction. I figure while I'm going through the trouble of swapping my rear end I may as well go ahead and get one with disk brakes as well. The one catch is I have a really nice set of reconditioned 87 iroc wheels that I want to be able to run on the car without having spacers making them poke halfway out the wheel well.

So, I was thinking about just getting a late model 3rd gen rear end that was equipped with disc brakes. Do you guys think that would be good for my purposes, or have any other suggestions?

One other thing to note, I was planning to do something like 3.73 gear ratio. I've got a T5 in my camaro right now, but going to be upgrading to a T56 when I do all this. My engine is a cmengine.com 350 with ~350 hp and 385 lb / tq. So I'm surprised I haven't torn up the T5 yet. I'm guessing I haven't simply due to not getting any really good hook ups due to poor traction lol.

I welcome any feedback and suggestions, even if it is not concerning the rear end!

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 AM

Re: Rear end suggestions for autocross?

A 7.5 posi will be the first thing w/ something like a 3.23 ratio,but even if it,s a 2.73 /similiar no big problem as you can find 3.42/3.73 r&p at very reasonable prices.In fact my 94 has 3.23 which i,m going to 3.73 to this year.I did some autocross last Sep. & it was the most fun i had in yrs.I,m basically doing my own version of a track/drag pkg.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Re: Rear end suggestions for autocross?

4th gen rear ends seem to be a lot more popular and easy to find, but I'm attached to my 87 iroc wheels that I have on my car lol. I plan to get a different set of wheels to use purely for autocrossing with wider tires, eventually, but I'll want to run my irocs on the street. They are a set of reconditioned to like new wheels and I simply love the way they look =p If it wasn't for that I'd look into a 4th gen rear end.

I've found a 3rd gen rear end with disc brakes and 3.73 gears at a shop not to far from me, but they want 500 dollars for it. I've seen the 4th gen rears going for 200 to 300 dollars sometimes even less...