Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

pressure relieved

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:33 PM

pressure relieved

Ok I posted last nite my problems with the tranny overflowing because I thought their could be to much tranny fluid in the tranny. I poured way way to much in, about 2 qts to much, maybe more. I realized after the fact that when I changed my tranny pan for one with a drain plug, that not all the fluid was in the pan during the drain process. Theirs still some in the radiator, the cooling lines and the b&m supercooler. I checked the levelwhile engine was at idle and the fluid looked to go about 3-4 inches above full. I simply thought maybe something happened when I reinstalled the tranny after installing my new stall and flexplate. The fact was, it was causing so much pressure that fluid was leaking through the bolts that hold the pan in( mind you I installed a new gasket and put that white tap stuff around the bolts before installation.) I was stunned. It seemed to only come out when I added more and more fluid, Duh. So today I simply disconnected the tranny coolant line from the supercooler and got a large bucket and proceeded with the drain process. I turn the key and let the engine run for about 10 seconds, attach the line, run it and check the level. After the 3rd time woohla, I had the level I needed. Im so relieved that its fixed and I learned something.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Yea, ya don't just go dumping fluid in. You have to put in a quart or two less than capacity, then run it. You are supposed to check tranny fluid with tranny at operating temp, not cold. Then you simply add a little at a time, checking the dipstick constantly, until full. Overfilling can flood the tranny and cause shifting issues, leaking, and boiling over.