Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Poor rear end install possibly? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Unhappy Poor rear end install possibly? Need advice

I recently had the rear end in my 95 Formula changed from 2.73's to 3.73's. A complete install kit was used and I made sure to properly break in the gears for over 2 weeks. I noticed immediatly that I was getting alot of whine from the rear end. The guy who installed it said that was normal from aftermarket gears, but it seems really excessive to me. I also noticed that when I get up above 60mph I start to get alot of vibration and "humming" coming from the rear. It almost feels like it's gonna blow apart whenever you get above 80mph. I know this can't be normal as I have been in numerous cars that had new gears installed. I have a balanced driveshaft and am starting to think this is just a bad install or set of gears. Does this sound like a poor install? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JCS
Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM

The whine can be normal. Pop your driveshaft out of the rear axle yoke and spin it 180* and put it back in; sometimes this can make a difference with the vibration. Do you have an adjustable T/A? if so, what's it set at?

It could be the gears, as the rearends we have are a PITA to setup properly.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 PM

No, whine is not normal. What gears are you running? Whine is almost always the sign of an improper setup.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 PM

With a good install, no gears should whine.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the help so far.

I don't think it's the driveshaft as I was getting the same vibration before, with the stock driveshaft, and now after, with the balanced driveshaft. Only thing in the set up that changed was the gear install. I still have the stock T/A.

Not sure what gears were installed. I was told about the garage from a friend and found out the hard way that the guy is a hack. I don't want to bring my car back to his shop and recently ordered a new set of strange gears, full install kit and rear end cover from Thunder Racing. Now I just need to find someone good in my area who will install it properly.

I always heard that whine from the rear, after an install, is either bad gears or a bad install.

If anyone knows of a good garage in the Buffalo, NY area, for a gear install, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 AM

It is very hard to setup a rear without it becoming a "whiner". Most of the time, it has to be installed, tested, taken apart again and reinstalled. Often it takes a few times to get it exactly right. That's why many shops won't do it - can't make money on it.

Rich
Old 10-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy95LT1Form
Thanks for the help so far.

I don't think it's the driveshaft as I was getting the same vibration before, with the stock driveshaft, and now after, with the balanced driveshaft. Only thing in the set up that changed was the gear install. I still have the stock T/A.

Not sure what gears were installed. I was told about the garage from a friend and found out the hard way that the guy is a hack. I don't want to bring my car back to his shop and recently ordered a new set of strange gears, full install kit and rear end cover from Thunder Racing. Now I just need to find someone good in my area who will install it properly.

I always heard that whine from the rear, after an install, is either bad gears or a bad install.

If anyone knows of a good garage in the Buffalo, NY area, for a gear install, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy
If you're not already on www.nyspeed.com, I'd suggest joining. Lots of Buffalo info. Personally, I'm not sure which shops around here would do it, and do a good job.