Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

PCM tuning or shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:02 PM

PCM tuning or shift kit

I plan on getting a 3000 stall converter soon and ive heard that it causes shifts to be sloppy. Ive narrowed my solutions to PCM tuning (hypertech?) or a transgo shift kit. What are the advantages disadvantages of each? Can a shift kit do any more than PCM tuning or visa versa...

Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 06:52 PM

Re: PCM tuning or shift kit

Yes a stall makes the shifts sloppy or slushy. First, don't waste your money on the Hypertech. Second, an internal shift kit is the better choice over a PCM tune. All the tuning does is boost the line pressure which I'm told is a bad thing. A shift kit firms all the shifts back up and does it efficiently inside the transmission instead of just boosting the pressure going through it. There is no slippage between the internal clutches which cuts down on heat. The tune does nothing to prevent this. Heat is the #1 killer of auto trannies. The only disadvantage of the Trans-go vs a tune is the installation. If you've never done one and your not quite mechanically inclined I'd recommend against it. This would require $100-150 bucks for installation, on top of the original price. Kinda pricey compared to a $50 dollar tune. But still, it's the much better way to go. Also keep in mind, with any stall converter install a trans cooler is a definate MUST. Stall's create enormous amounts of heat and like I already said, this is a bad thing. Get the biggest one you can and install it at the same time. You can never cool a tranny too much.