Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

One Tire Spinning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:17 AM

One Tire Spinning!

I was powerbraking today and when i looked at my mark, i noticed that only one tire was spinning, or at least it appeared that way. I only saw one black line from the powerbrake.

This worries me, because the prev. owner installed an Auburn locker diferential when he put the 3.73's in, and I have done plenty of 2 tire burnouts before. Do i have to service my transmission with diferential additive? Maybe the fluid just needs to be changed? I checked the level and it was fine, but not the color or anything. What should i look for?

This would really suck if its going out now, right after i got everything going good again.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:55 AM

Id try changine the fluid and adding the additive.. Drive it a few miles and then let it sit overnight to let the posi soke up the additive.. My buddy had his housing open for a few weeks empty and the posi "dried up", he had to let it sit overnight until it would grab both tires right. If its still only burning one tire you got some problems there.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:17 PM

Update:

Well i looked at the mark today in broad daylight and it appears that the other tire (the one that didn't spin) actually did spin and ripped up a chunk of the concrete, but the marks after that were pretty weak compared to the other tire.

I'm going to change the fluid and add the additive and then let it sit like you said, and hopefully that will bring my posi back up to par. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM

Once you start single tracking or have the right spin more than the left its time for a new limited slip. Changing the fluid will not typically "bring back" a limited slip. Once the clutches go, they go go go...Auburn makes a good unit in the Pro series. The regular Auburn is fairly weak. I have an Auburn Pro series in my car and its been flawless for 7 years. Eaton also makes a good one and its rebuildable, too. Sorry for the bad news...
--Alan