Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Need some suggestions with my transmission rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Need some suggestions with my transmission rebuild...

Well recently the automatic transmission went in my '95 Z28, so I am now looking to get it rebuilt. I was wondering what a "perfomance" rebuild entails....and whether or not it would be the right choice for me. I have read up on people talking about "corvette" servos and other things like this, and I truthfully have no idea what these do and their benefits. I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could please explain it to me. As of right now the car is bone stock...and I plan on doing some mods in the future, therefore I figured it would probably be best for me to beef up the transmission now and spend the extra money. Also, I was looking into a torque converter....since I figured I could save some money on the labor now. I figured that since it is being redone now, that I should get it done right. What is a good stall speed for a stock '95 Z28. In the near future I would like to get some Kook's LT's, exhaust, cold air intake....and some time down the road I would like to get a cam/heads/etc. Is a 3000 or 3200 stall the right choice?? Also, which brand should I go with. I hear good things about the vigilante and Yank TC's....but they are a little pricey.

Thanks in advance,

James
Old 05-19-2005, 04:50 PM

Re: Need some suggestions with my transmission rebuild...

Our "performance rebuilds" don't contain the quality of parts that our "race rebuilds" do. Our race 4L60E's are built with all the best parts available, so that they're capable of surviving the abuse of a racing enviroment, but yet they're still completely streetable.

The "Corvette" servo is the part of the 2-4 servo that applies the 2-4 band for 2nd gear. Just so you know, ALL LT1 and LS1 F-Bodies come from the factory with "Corvette" servos. Gm used 3 different servos in their 60E's. The "Corvette" servo has the largest surface apply area of the 3. The more surface apply area, the more "holding power" it will have, and the firmer the shift will be.
I've got a shelf full of "Corvette" servos in my shop...Simply because we don't use them in racing 60E's. We only use Fairbanks billet 2nd servos, and Sonnax billet 4th servos. A word of caution, though...If you use a billet servo, you should also use a 2-4 band that has a reinforced anchor, such as an Alto "Wide" band. You'll also want to stay away from anything Kevlar lined.

We install customer supplied Vigilantes, but we're a distributor for ProTorque. I haven't had a customer yet who's been unhappy with a ProTorque converter, nor have I had any come back on me. I would seriously advise against the Yank. I've seen too many problems with them. There's a ProTorque RETAIL price list link on my web page. We give a pretty good discount if someone buys one with a transmission rebuild.

If you're interested in what parts we use in our different levels of 60E's, follow the links on our site.

Frank