Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Need some help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 PM

Need some help?

I just finished building my first 385 stroker LT1. The motor is externally balanced and I'm using a B and M 160 tooth flexplate. I found out the hard way that my stock starter was not going to work. So I talked to a buddy of mine and he told me to get a starter from a 71 camaro with a 400 flexplate. Well I dont think its working because every time I use the shims I seem to not be able to get the teeth to grab the flexplate. Also I dont think the starter is the correct one because the snout of the starter does not fit completely over the flexplate. So I ask do any of you know which starter that will work with my flexplate? Are any of you running the same flexplate in an LT1?
thanks
Chris
Old 02-28-2007, 01:45 AM

the best way to build a lt1 383 is to internally balance it,, because externally balanced needs a 400 style balancer, on the lt1 your balancer is also your serp belt pulley, there is no way to run the 400 style weighted balancer,, and also the problem you are running into with the flex plate would be solved with internally balanced engine, using the factory flexplate that would be neutral balanced
Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 AM

Yeah well I have the motor balanced allready with the bigger flexplate. Kinda of a tight fit in there but it works. And when I got my motor balanced they used my stock Damper. SO its neutral balanced. My was cut for external balancing. So looks like I should have went the other route just like you said. We live and learn. So this doesn't mean that im out of the game does it? I mean my motor will still work right?
Chris