Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Need New Driveshaft ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Need New Driveshaft ?

On the 1995 camaro 6-cyl has a 2-piece driveshaft and its broke . needs replaced .

Will a 1 Pieace work out of a camaro work ?

Like this one right ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

what will be needed to replace ? as far as tools ?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:30 PM

A one piece will work, but I bet you can find all kinds of them around here for next to nothing. People replace the steel one for aluminum a lot. Obviously, you will have to remove the center bearing used on your 2 piece shaft.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 PM

83-02 pretty much all use the same length, I have a late 80s Firebird D/S in my 95 V6 car, only thing I had to do was remove the mount for the carrier bearing and get it out of the way. It is a direct swap. A basic cheapo tool kit will do the job. You may want to spray some pb blaster or somethin on the bolts to make it go more smooth. Easy and quick upgrade. Just measure yours and head to the salvage yard. People measure them at different spots so its best to measure yourself so you know where the new one is measured at. Some go end of yoke to end of yoke, some go center to center, some go end to center. If you run into any problems just do some searching in the drivetrain forum, theres a lot of posts on this. Also, doesnt matter if its from an auto or manual car, as long as its a one piece.

BTW- I think I only paid $25 for mine here locally.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 AM

How is the center bearing connected to the body? how i go about gettin it out of the way ?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator

The center bearing is not supported from the body. It is supported from the torque arm. Comes off with a couple of bolts. It will be obvious when you look at it.

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-06-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 AM

I have the same problem, my cb is junk. And I'm looking to replace the driveshaft but they want 150 from a junk yard, from a car with miles unknown. So I want to go to a 1 piece. My nearest trans shop that builds custom is 3 hours away. 95camaroinok, you said you installed a 3rd gen drivesaft. Did you have to mod it in any way?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM

from what i gathered , any 1 pc driveshaft from a 1982 - 2002 f body will work ?

as long as its 41.25 inchs from u joint to u joint .

and yes iam looking elsewhere too . thesse can be had for less than $75 bucks imo
Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The center bearing is not supported from the body. It is supported from the torque arm. Comes off with a couple of bolts. It will be obvious when you look at it.

Thanks yep never got under the car yet ....

I peaked under the car one day after it got loud and sall the middle of the driveshaft where the CB is and it was moving around making the noise .

guess i have to take it out this weekend and go from there .

question how do i take the driveshaft off ? isntthere like 2-4 bolts holding the rear u joint to the rear diff ?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:28 PM

yep. First you wanna remove the skid plate. Than there are 2 bolts that connect the carrier bearing to the torque arm. Than there are 4 bolts that connect the u joint to the pumpkin. And depending on how tight your exhaust is, mine I was able to get it out without dropping the pipe. Pull it out and stuff a rag in the back of the tranny and your all set.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:37 AM

You probably already got this fixed, but for future searchers, Yes I have a third gen DS in my 95 V6. No modifications. Back the car up on ramps, or jack up the rear end and block up the BACK of the car someway solid. Pull the bolts off the rear u-joint and the CB, then slide it out of the trans. If only the rear end is jacked up in the air, you wont lose much if ANY transmission fluid. The direct year interchange is 83-02, auto or standard. 82 had a few different transmission choices that year including a TH350, so its a crapshoot. 83-02 should be a broad enough range to find a good cheap used one though. Not hard at all if you have even little mechanical ability. You'll see what you need when you get under there.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Re: Need New Driveshaft ?

Originally Posted by 95camaroinok
You probably already got this fixed, but for future searchers, Yes I have a third gen DS in my 95 V6. No modifications. Back the car up on ramps, or jack up the rear end and block up the BACK of the car someway solid. Pull the bolts off the rear u-joint and the CB, then slide it out of the trans. If only the rear end is jacked up in the air, you wont lose much if ANY transmission fluid. The direct year interchange is 83-02, auto or standard. 82 had a few different transmission choices that year including a TH350, so its a crapshoot. 83-02 should be a broad enough range to find a good cheap used one though. Not hard at all if you have even little mechanical ability. You'll see what you need when you get under there.
I have a similar Problem. I have a 1995 Camaro 3.4L V6. The Carrier Bearing on the Driveshaft is completly gone out.

I want to go to a 1-piece DS so i never have this problem again.

I called the local Salvage yard, and they have a 1 piece drive-shaft for 1995 Firebird. The guy at the salvage yard says that the drive-shaft is compatable with the 1995 Z28, but his computer says its not compatible with the v6.

Any ideas? Can I use the 1-piece DS from a 1995 Firebird?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silentstryder
I have a similar Problem. I have a 1995 Camaro 3.4L V6. The Carrier Bearing on the Driveshaft is completly gone out.

I want to go to a 1-piece DS so i never have this problem again.

I called the local Salvage yard, and they have a 1 piece drive-shaft for 1995 Firebird. The guy at the salvage yard says that the drive-shaft is compatable with the 1995 Z28, but his computer says its not compatible with the v6.

Any ideas? Can I use the 1-piece DS from a 1995 Firebird?
Yeah, its fine, it will work, he says its not compatable because the V6 came with the 2 piece shaft
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Re: Need New Driveshaft ?

Thanks for the info.
I was planning on replacing the u-Joints as well. I was looking at O'Reilly's Auto parts for some and was wondering if there was a big difference between the $9 Master Pro ones and the $15 Precision Non-Greaseable Super-Strength ones, and the $65 Lakewood Performance U-Joint

Can you give me a recommendation?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silentstryder
Thanks for the info.
I was planning on replacing the u-Joints as well. I was looking at O'Reilly's Auto parts for some and was wondering if there was a big difference between the $9 Master Pro ones and the $15 Precision Non-Greaseable Super-Strength ones, and the $65 Lakewood Performance U-Joint

Can you give me a recommendation?
V6, I wouldn't worry, the greasable ones are fine, make sure the grease fitting hole is under compression when installed