Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Motive vs. Richmond??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM

Motive vs. Richmond??

I know this is an age old question, but after doing a search I really couldn't find a straight answer.

I know a 10 bolt is a 10 bolt, it's a ticking time bomb if you're launching it at the drag strip, especially in a 6 speed. With that being said is Richmond an any better gear than Motive or vice versa? I know the Richmonds are said to be noisier but to a more angled cut on the gears, but does that make them any stronger?

Any information provided will be appreciated.

Last edited by Wicked 97TA; 01-31-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2010, 12:02 PM

Both are excellent gears. Richmond tends to put more nickel content in their street gear thus tending to make a little noise but are slightly stronger because of this then the motive street gear. The motive street gear is a top of the line brand and are known for being quiet with their street gear. Motive does make a race/track gear that is more track friendly/ track only type gear that is softer and not necessarily recommended for street use(I will leave that gear out of this discussion and speak of the motive street gear).

I have run both gears(motive and richmond street gear) and can tell you that both are good choices. Where you will make your money is on the install. For racing the "back lash" is set up tighter for strength thus the gear tends to make a little to more noise. For a street style set up the "back lash" is set to a slightly loser tolerance, both being within tolerance just on the outer edges depending on what you want, which is quieter.

Long story short for street use:

Most strength = richmond set up with tight tolerance = noisy
Stronger = richmond set up on a lose tolerance = little to no noise
Stronger = Motive set up on a tight tolerance = some noise (this is what I have now)
Normal Strength = Motive set up dead in the middle to lose tolerance = no noise

My definition of "Normal Strength" is a set up that should last you the same as stock if not a little longer/better.

Edit: My opinion stated above is based off of my own personal experience testing both types of gears at different tolerances based upon the recommendations given given by GM Tech Mag and other sources. Given that I say again the above data is based on real world experience. For more info on how long each set up lasted for me and what kind of abuse I put to it PM me.

Last edited by Airbornec507; 01-31-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: differentiating street and race gears in the discussion
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Airbornec507
Both are excellent gears. Richmond tends to put more nickel content in their street gear thus tending to make a little noise but are slightly stronger because of this then the motive street gear. The motive street gear is a top of the line brand and are known for being quiet with their street gear. Motive does make a more track friendly/ track only type gear that is softer and not necessarily recommended for street use.

I have run both gears and can tell you that both are good choices. Where you will make your money is on the install. For racing the "back lash" is set up tighter for strength thus the gear tends to make a little to more noise. For a street style set up the "back lash" is set to a slightly loser tolerance, both being within tolerance just on the outer edges depending on what you want, which is quieter.

Long story short for street use:

Most strength = richmond set up with tight tolerance = noisy
Stronger = richmond set up on a lose tolerance = little to no noise
Stronger = Motive set up on a tight tolerance = some noise (this is what I have now)
Normal Strength = Motive set up dead in the middle to lose tolerance = no noise

My definition of "Normal Strength" is a set up that should last you the same as stock if not a little longer/better.

Edit: My opinion stated above is based off of my own personal experience testing both types of gears at different tolerances based upon the recommendations given given by GM Tech Mag and other sources. Given that I say again the above data is based on real world experience. For more info on how long each set up lasted for me and what kind of abuse I put to it PM me.
Thanks a lot! That was the kinda response I was looking for!!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:13 PM

As stated, they are both good.

Rich