Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Kind of weird T56 problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 PM

Kind of weird T56 problem

I think i might need some new syncros or rebuild but im not sure. Basically the problem is that sometimes when i try to shift into 5th i can feel and hear the gears grind a little. It only happens sometimes but not all the time. The other strange problem is that when i coast for a little while in nuetral then try to shift into 4th the gears will grind. Once again this only happens sometimes but not all the time.
I think its the syncros but im having it looked at tomorrow. Would new tranny fluid or a different shifter help at all?
Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2006, 01:45 PM

Re: Kind of weird T56 problem

im not sure about this, but i heard it from my friends father. when sitting in neutral, the flywheel (maybe?) is spinning, but the driveshaft is not....or something to that effect. when you try to put it in gear, the gears grind together because one is spinning and one is stopped.....im guessing that when you are driving and shifting, the driveshaft doesnt have enough time to really have a significant amount of slowdown, but that when you coast in neutral for a bit, the driveshaft slows down, while the flywheel is still spinning when they mate.

i dont know why it would do it then but not at a stop going into first.....like i said, i really dont know the details of whats going on here, but thought i would share.

i asked him why my gear always grinded going into reverse from neutral.....so i had to start going from neutral to first, then straight to reverse. fixed the problem....
Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 PM

If it does not do it when you are shifting up throught the gears then it sounds like a clutch problem!May be even in the slave cylinder or the master cylinder for the clutch.Sounds like the clutch is no fully diseagaging.Thats where I would start looking.Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 95zsean
If it does not do it when you are shifting up throught the gears then it sounds like a clutch problem!May be even in the slave cylinder or the master cylinder for the clutch.Sounds like the clutch is no fully diseagaging.Thats where I would start looking.Good Luck!
could this same be true then for one that has a similar problem like this? I know for a fact i have a small leak in my master cylinder (it leaks right inside where it comes through the flywheel, and doesnt apply until the bottom of the pedal on cold mornings until it warms up then its up high again) but my trans problem is VERY similar to his, sometimes i get a mild grind from 5th to 6th and always grinds going down from 6th to 5th, but works fine from 4th to 5th even if i go from 6th to 4th to 5th all with the clutch in until 5th.

(i asked this awhile back but got no responses, looks like i may have just found it, unless it is synchros )