Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Install and uninstall of T56?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:17 PM

Install and uninstall of T56?

Plannin on Takin a t56 off a 94 z and putting it in my 95 Formula in plcae for a Broke t56.
Any good instructions or aynthing?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:46 AM

this is for an LS1 car but is pretty similar

just ignore the clutch part

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm
Old 05-25-2004, 09:04 AM

I got it done with a block of wood and a floor jack, but it kinda sucked. I would highly reccommend a tranny jack. Also I had to get the top trans-to-bellhousing bolt from inside the car, snaking like 2 feet of extrensions through the shifter hole. Afterwords, I was thinking one of those wrenches that are bent would work. I'm not sure what they are called, but its a wrench that is bent into a wide U-shape.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:05 AM

Remove driveshaft (4 bolts), then remove the torque arm bracket on the tranny (1 bolt), no need to take off the TA completely. Take off the bracket that supports the cat/y pipe. Crawl into your car, and take apart the center console and unbolt the shifter (4 bolts) Place a rag into the shifter hole so no junk will get into your tranny. Get under your car, and place some blocks of wood under your oil pan, this has to be done real carefull you dont want to bend your pan. Then place a jack under your tranny, and unbolt the tranny mount bolt, then the crossmember bolts (4) and take off the crossmember. Take off the clutch slave cylinder (2 bolts) and hang it on a wire somewhere, so there's no stress on the hydraulic lines. After you took of the slave cyl, you can see the clutch fork. Just grab it, and pull it firmly to the left, no need to to unbolt the T bolt that holds it! I promise you will know when the fork pops off the throwout bearing. Now unhook all the electrical connections on the tranny, (I think there are 3 of them) then start to unbolt the tranny-to-bellhousing bolts (6 bolts, and I could reach all of them from under the car with some extensions) then wack the tranny and it should separate easily form the bellhousing. Pull back the tranny till the input shaft clears the clutch assembly. You might have to play a bit with the jack under the tranny to clear everything when pulling back on the tranny. When you can see the end of the input shaft, lower the tranny, again, you might have to play with it a bit, but nothin major.
Good luck, have fun!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by HungryT/A
Remove driveshaft (4 bolts), then remove the torque arm bracket on the tranny (1 bolt), no need to take off the TA completely. Take off the bracket that supports the cat/y pipe. Crawl into your car, and take apart the center console and unbolt the shifter (4 bolts) Place a rag into the shifter hole so no junk will get into your tranny. Get under your car, and place some blocks of wood under your oil pan, this has to be done real carefull you dont want to bend your pan. Then place a jack under your tranny, and unbolt the tranny mount bolt, then the crossmember bolts (4) and take off the crossmember. Take off the clutch slave cylinder (2 bolts) and hang it on a wire somewhere, so there's no stress on the hydraulic lines. After you took of the slave cyl, you can see the clutch fork. Just grab it, and pull it firmly to the left, no need to to unbolt the T bolt that holds it! I promise you will know when the fork pops off the throwout bearing. Now unhook all the electrical connections on the tranny, (I think there are 3 of them) then start to unbolt the tranny-to-bellhousing bolts (6 bolts, and I could reach all of them from under the car with some extensions) then wack the tranny and it should separate easily form the bellhousing. Pull back the tranny till the input shaft clears the clutch assembly. You might have to play a bit with the jack under the tranny to clear everything when pulling back on the tranny. When you can see the end of the input shaft, lower the tranny, again, you might have to play with it a bit, but nothin major.
Good luck, have fun!
He's got it right - I've had it out and back in 3 or 4 times now and the only thing I can add is:
Those bolts you think are impossible to reach - use like three feet of extensions (best if it's just one or two really long ones not a buch of short ones or there'll be a bunch of play/slack). Also a swivel comes in very hand for one of the bell housing bolts that's hard to reach. Oh, and I always fire up the air compressor and use and impact gun to get the fly wheel off (if you're changing the clutch which you definately should while you have the trans out you need to have the fly wheel turned at a local machine shop). Without the air gun I dunno how I'd get the thing off.. maybe some else can tell you how they did it. Oh, and one last thing.. change the rear main seal and the imput shaft bushing (use bushing not bearing). Also, tip the trans forward and see if any fluid runs out along the imput shaft - this is definately not good and will ruin a clutch quite quickly (ask me how I know).. definately check and make sure the imput shaft seal is sealing correctly.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by Lost
Without the air gun I dunno how I'd get the thing off.. maybe some else can tell you how they did it.
Using air tools are definiately recommended on the flywheel bolts, but you can just wedge a screwdriver between the flywheel and starter teeths...
Old 05-26-2004, 08:30 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the help. Il let you know how it goes. I think dad planns on startin on it when ever the weather ruins his vacation.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Minor details.... 4 harness connections to the tranny - skip shift, reverse lockout and VSS on the driver's side, backup lights on the passenger side.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...E/T56Conns.jpg

There are 8 bolts that hold the tranny to the bell housing.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...C/DCP02754.jpg

If you leave the fluid in the tranny, its going to run out of the tailshaft when you tilt the back end of the tranny down. I cut the top off a plastic Coke bottle so it is the same diameter as the inside of the tailshaft housing, slide the bottle into the housing and apply some duct tape to keep it from leaking.

The tranny weighs 118#..... be prepared.