Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

How to change differential fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:49 AM

How to change differential fluid?

Like the subject says. The rear I bought had a Mac dif. cover installed and I'm not really sure where the drain plug is at. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm going from memory here but there are two different alan type screws on the cover I think. One towards the bottom and one larger one towards the top. Would the bottom one be the drain? Also how do I fill it back up and how do I know when it's full? There is a little spout thing towards the top part of the dif. and it's on the passenger side is that a refill spot? I wanted to change the fluid just for peace of mind but if it's gonna be a pain I dunno if I want to. I don't really feel like pulling the cover. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:05 AM

Yea check the level with the bottom one and drain it with the top one

Ok sorry just couldnt resist.. Seriously, yes the bottom is the drain. (if the cover has a bottom hole, stock doesn't, you have to pull the cover to drain it) Fill it with the top hole, put your limited slip additive in first and then the fluid, fill it until it starts to come out of that hole. (put the bottom plug back in first )