Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

High Stall Problem Possibly

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM

High Stall Problem Possibly

I just put in a 2800 stall converter my 95Z and I think I'm experiencing the High Stall problem. If I start the try to do a burnt out it will break them loose in first but as soon as I roll out of it the trans will shift to 3rd and never come out of that gear again. It also won't lock the converter. Sometimes before it even starts the spin the tires it will just shift to 3rd like that. This also happens when you launch the car hard. Sometimes it will run through 1st and then shift right to third. Other times as soon as you lay into the gas hard and it flashes the converter it will instantly go to third. Anyway after it gets stuck in 3rd like that if you shut the car off and turn it back on everything goes back to normal. I got out Datamaster and checked for codes. There where two "TPS LOW" and "OUTPUT SPEED LOSS". I checked the tps sensor with datamaster and it seems to be working properly. I'd also find it hard to believe that it would act up right after a converter install. Are these symptoms of the high stall problem? Or is this some other unrelated problem? Thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Re: High Stall Problem Possibly

yep thats the high stall prob or better known as the Stall wall, contact Brian at www.pcmforless.com he has the fix and can hook you up, the only side affect is that the car will not kick down from 2nd to 1st.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 94Zpower
yep thats the high stall prob or better known as the Stall wall, contact Brian at www.pcmforless.com he has the fix and can hook you up, the only side affect is that the car will not kick down from 2nd to 1st.
really?? I had bryan fix this for me, and he didn't mention that! Where did you get that info? When I get the car back together I need to test that out. But, I don't think I have tried to get it to kickdown.. Thanks for the info Gary!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:39 AM

Oh yeah, to the guy that asked, I forgot to mention that yes this is a problem with the high stall!! Bryan says he can fix it, I had this problem but have not had an oppurtunity to see if it has been fixed, also just so you know this is also caused by internal problems in the tranny too.. Did you install a trany cooler when you did the converter? The heat will kill it quickly!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
really?? I had bryan fix this for me, and he didn't mention that! Where did you get that info? When I get the car back together I need to test that out. But, I don't think I have tried to get it to kickdown.. Thanks for the info Gary!

John,

Bryan himself told me this when I sent him mine, check with him about it
Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
Oh yeah, to the guy that asked, I forgot to mention that yes this is a problem with the high stall!! Bryan says he can fix it, I had this problem but have not had an oppurtunity to see if it has been fixed, also just so you know this is also caused by internal problems in the tranny too.. Did you install a trany cooler when you did the converter? The heat will kill it quickly!
Yes I have the biggest cooler B&M makes on the car.