Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Gear install.......spedo change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 12:10 PM

Gear install.......spedo change?

Alright i get my car back today from DTS and i am wondering how it will drive without the PCM tuned for it. They are 3.73's. Will it shift in crazy places? The tune from PCMFORLESS is sheduled to be here monday. I have to give thanks to Brain at PCMFORLESS. If it comes monday it will only have taken a week.

So is it a bad idea to drive it? Or should i just drive it really easy? Or is it fine to go all out? What should i expect to see, so i don't freak when it shifts at weird points.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:35 PM

Re: Gear install.......spedo change?

The car shifts based on RPMs not speed, so it will shift just like normal and there will be nothing weird except a speedo that's way off. The only and probably biggest downside to driving a car after switching to lower gears without a recalibration tune is that your racking up more miles than your actually driving. I went from 2.73's to 3.42's a little over a month ago and have yet to get a tune(plan to next week) and it say's I've racked up over 2000 miles during that time. Now I know I haven't driven that much. If you don't care about miles than it's no problem, if you do, I recommend getting a tune asap, and not driving the car much until you do.

Oh the other weird problem you'll have is traction....it'll probably be mostly nonexistant. Especially after the smile comes over your face the first time you get on it. After that it's all down hill.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:45 PM

Re: Gear install.......spedo change?

I can't wait just to put it to the floor