Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Gear install... do it myself? hints? tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 06:22 PM

I also did my cam/valvetrain, pulled & reinstalled heads, converter, tranny, and all the misc bolt on items. But for the gears, I had a shop do it. It wasn't cheap ($300), but I had no desire to spend $100 on a tool so rarely used - I also wanted it done once correctly and not have to worry about it. So far I'd say it was money well spent. No problems.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:46 PM

Changing your gears isn't as complicated as everyone thinks, yes theres some measuring, their isn't alot of angles or anything like that...just remember the stock backlash is between .008-.0095" if you cant get a dial indicator, go to a tranny shop and ask then for a bit of contact pattern paint(dont know the proper name). on the back of the pinion gear , theres usually a number on it like 10, 20 or so on, i was taught that thats the shim you should use for the pinion.(worked for me)..then start with the factory shims on the sides of the carrier, paint at least 5 teeth on the pinion gear...rotate the ring gear and check the pattern make sure the pattern is centered and has a good amount of contact on the ring gear...if its not centered you have to change the pinion gear shim...too little contact add a shim to the left side of the carrier and take one out of the right side.(opposite for too much contact)...try the paint again.....just make sure that you torque everything down after you change any shims..after you think its a good pattern....put the rear cover on, fill the diff, and test drive it....if theres alot of gear whine you most likely need more contact between the pinion the gear (bigger shim on the left, smaller on the right of the carrier)..i had that problem when i did mine...only takes an hour tops to re-do after you do it the first time.....after i re-shimed mine, its been perfect, i got maybe 30-40 passes at the track and about 18,000kms on the street, no problems, no noise nothing...just double check torque specs on the carrier bearing bolts and pinion nut...good luck! Let us know how it turned out....
Old 11-09-2003, 07:48 PM

As with any new project, you have to be willing to deal with the consequences if it does not work out like you hoped. It is a touchy job and even shops have trouble getting them right sometimes. You could end up saving money and learning something or you might end up spending more money than if you had never tried it yourself. Do what it best for your situation.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 PM

Having trouble finding a shop to do the install.. ugh.

More input would be great, I found one writeup on Brett's site which I will look over. More writeups would be great

I'm a little nervous about doing it, but I'm competent at this and would like to say "I did it myself" (if it comes out right )
Old 11-20-2003, 02:41 PM

i wouldnt risk it BUT if u want we can try doing it together i'll pay 50% of the stuff, and when we gotta do mine, u'll have to help me
Old 11-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Buy a training video....and make sure you have all the proper tools required. If you take your time and make the proper measurements you should have no problem. You can only go wrong if you don't know what Proper gear pattern to look for. Other than that you shouldn't have a hard time. I origianlly paid to have my gears put in and the Guy F@#$@#ed it up. I wish I did it myself because it would of been done right. Now I am doing it myself, and wasted 400 dollars BTW I am taking the guy to court. You can do it...it's not very hard at all. Just make sure you have all the possible trouble areas covered...that way you'll know what not to do and what to expect to do when you install them...otherwise GO For it! That's what "DOING YOUR OWN WORK" is all about...avoiding the Mechanics.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:33 PM

What are you planning on using a basic install kit, solid pinion spacer?? I'm just asking cause I have a quick bit of advice if your using the spacer.
Brandon
Old 11-20-2003, 05:36 PM

Deluxe install kit, but not using the solid pinion spacer..
Old 11-20-2003, 05:39 PM

Oh, ok. It isnt that hard to do, just remember that when checking your pinion preload towards the beginning of your install, it will tighten up after the pinion seal, and pinion nut is fully tightened, so dont over-shim it, thinking it isnt tight enough, made that mistake once , and good luck! Just post your questions on here while your doin the install.
Brandon
Old 11-20-2003, 06:00 PM

the old pinion is shimmed for the housing, not for the gear set, so unless you change the series of carrier, which you wont going to a 3.73, you just reuse the old pinion shims. i did my first gear install a year ago when i was 17, had to re-do it cause i set the backlash wrong and was anxious to get the car on the road...took it apart about a week later after the humming was too bad, and re shimmed the carrier, worked great for the 8 months i had the car, then sold it. just installed my second set in my 95 z, went together in about 8 hours total, they run great. i have never used a dial indicator or any of that, as long as you stay with the same series carrier, just use old pinion shims, then check backlash with the marking compund (some call it gear paint) and DONT get over anxious, take your time and do it right, and it is not a hard install at all. the only tool i would say you need is an impact gun for tighening the pinion nut, it takes about 350 ft/lbs. to tighten it up...when using the gun, just keep the gun on there untill all the sudden you will feel it kinda slip, thats the crush collar crushing, then stop, feel for play (there shouldnt be any) and that is really the hardest part of it.

btw, people talk about needing experience, well, there is only one way to get it, by doing it, and not being afriad to mess up.

people always tell me i cant do things to my car, that i dont have enough experience, well i do it anyway, and proving them wrong feels great...haha...i will say, before every major job ive done (auto to manual transmission conversion, t top conversion, rebuilt bottom ends of motors, and the gear installs, ive even done body work and painting), ive read about 20 hours of write ups, manuals, and so on untill i have the job memorized in my head, before even starting on the project. this is IMHO, the key to getting it right. and also, jegs help line is great when you get stuck in the middle of a project.

the only thing i think i would not attempt is rebuilding an automatic transmission...i havnt even seen the inside of one before...

try it, its not as hard as people say, and good luck...keep us informed of your progress, and email me if you need any help
Old 11-20-2003, 06:03 PM

Yeah, reuse your stock pinion shim, I was talking about shimming the solid pinion spacer to match it to the size of the stock crush sleeve, but since you are using a standard crush sleeve, you should be ok
Brandon
Old 11-20-2003, 06:05 PM

yeah i tried the solid spacer on my last install, didnt like it, its now in my console...just use the supplied crush collar
Old 11-20-2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by will62085
the old pinion is shimmed for the housing, not for the gear set, so unless you change the series of carrier, which you wont going to a 3.73, you just reuse the old pinion shims. i did my first gear install a year ago when i was 17, had to re-do it cause i set the backlash wrong and was anxious to get the car on the road...took it apart about a week later after the humming was too bad, and re shimmed the carrier, worked great for the 8 months i had the car, then sold it. just installed my second set in my 95 z, went together in about 8 hours total, they run great. i have never used a dial indicator or any of that, as long as you stay with the same series carrier, just use old pinion shims, then check backlash with the marking compund (some call it gear paint) and DONT get over anxious, take your time and do it right, and it is not a hard install at all. the only tool i would say you need is an impact gun for tighening the pinion nut, it takes about 350 ft/lbs. to tighten it up...when using the gun, just keep the gun on there untill all the sudden you will feel it kinda slip, thats the crush collar crushing, then stop, feel for play (there shouldnt be any) and that is really the hardest part of it.

btw, people talk about needing experience, well, there is only one way to get it, by doing it, and not being afriad to mess up.

people always tell me i cant do things to my car, that i dont have enough experience, well i do it anyway, and proving them wrong feels great...haha...i will say, before every major job ive done (auto to manual transmission conversion, t top conversion, rebuilt bottom ends of motors, and the gear installs, ive even done body work and painting), ive read about 20 hours of write ups, manuals, and so on untill i have the job memorized in my head, before even starting on the project. this is IMHO, the key to getting it right. and also, jegs help line is great when you get stuck in the middle of a project.

the only thing i think i would not attempt is rebuilding an automatic transmission...i havnt even seen the inside of one before...

try it, its not as hard as people say, and good luck...keep us informed of your progress, and email me if you need any help
So, how do you press bearings off/on without any tools?
Old 11-20-2003, 06:21 PM

It's not rocket science. I have had people say to get it done professionally, but I figure I've done everything else on my car, this can't be too difficult. I'm just finishing up mine and am glad I made the effort. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Used the stock pinion shim and had to shim the carrier .010" to the left to get .008" backlash. The toughest part is holding the pinion yoke in place so you can crank the pinion nut and crush the sleeve to get the correct bearing preload. It takes some serious torque to crush the sleeve. Just take your time and be careful.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
So, how do you press bearings off/on without any tools?
i take the old and new pinion and new bearing to a shop with a bearing press, but i meant as far as renting, or owning tools, you dont need anything...most people dont own presses, nor can you rent them...you can get it pressed on and off for 10 bucks

Quick Reply: Gear install... do it myself? hints? tips?