Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

driveshaft question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 PM

driveshaft question?

I've been searching Google for most of the evening trying to find out if the 96 ss camaro came with an aluminum or steal drive shaft... I've had no luck. There's a local guy selling an aluminum ws6 driveshaft but i also can't find specs for weight and dimensions. Can anyone tell me if this is an upgrade and if it will work?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM

Re: driveshaft question?

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
I've been searching Google for most of the evening trying to find out if the 96 ss camaro came with an aluminum or steal drive shaft... I've had no luck. There's a local guy selling an aluminum ws6 driveshaft but i also can't find specs for weight and dimensions. Can anyone tell me if this is an upgrade and if it will work?
All LT1s regardless of trim level came with the steel shaft. LS1s came with the aluminum driveshaft.

The aluminum shafts will fit and are a nice upgrade to reduce rotating weight, but they ARE weaker. If you're planning on doing any serious drag racing the steel piece is a better option.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Administrator

I believe the 1LE option for the LT1 cars included an aluminum DS. Here's a dyno test:

Drivetrain Modifications #1
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 AM

3rd & 4th (LT1) cars had a 1LE 2 3/4" dia Aluminium dr shaft as a option. 4th gen LS1 cars had a 3" dia Aluiminum one. Both of these fit both manual / automatic V8 cars. Performance upgrade yes/no, but they are a nice upgrade. If you can find one for $125 or less get one.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM

larger diameter and aluminum both allow for higher critical speed. Driveshaft Critical Speed This is the rpm where the shaft deforms due to rotational forces (and vibrates). Steel is stronger than aluminum as there is carbon in the steel alloy which gives steel greater resistance to deformation, as the carbon stops the iron microstructure from deforming. If you load an aluminum shaft with a large torque load near its critical speed you are much more likely to get a critical failure of the shaft as aluminum alloys (typically 6061) do not contain carbon but silicon and magnesium, there is nothing in the alloy that stops deformation, and you see the typical corkscrew failure. I used to have a link that had torsional failure tests for aluminum vs steel driveshafts but can't find it...general recollection is that over 450 hp, aluminum probably not the best idea, though the smaller steel shafts will typically hit crticial speed over 450 hp (as your are typically above 6500 rpm.) End result is larger diamter steel or carbon fiber for high power/rpm cars.

IMO, they are a performance upgrade for stock and moderately modfied engines as you net 2 hp and reduce shaft vibration at high rpm (which is why GM went to the aluminum shaft in the LS). Is 2 hp worth $100? Probably not. Is $100 worth getting rid of high speed vibration that a fair number experience in the LT1? Probably yes. Also, unless you are a purist, the 1LE alum shaft is smaller diameter and will have a lower critical speed than the larger LS (and probably cost more as well) so get an LS one.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 AM

If your still unsure of what you have test it with a magnet.