Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Detroit vs spool

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 AM

Detroit vs spool

After breaking a 31 spline Strange shaft in my 9-inch at the LS-1 tech event at Milan, MI, I decided to upgrade to 35 spline Mosers. The only carriers available for the 35 spline are a Detroit or a spool (and an ARB but like $700). So I decided to go with a spool since I am now broke since I also had to buy the bigger third member with the 3.25" carrier bearings to hold the bigger shafts. Got the third member, spool and shafts in, set everything up and put it all together last night. I knew the spool wasn't going to be great on the street since I drove my Jeep around with a spool for a while, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Trying to turn from a stop or parking simply sucks! Now I don't know what to do. I've got too much money invested to go back now. Should I ditch the spool and go with a Detroit? I've heard they aren't the best for drag racing though, any first hand experience with one?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:43 AM

Re: Detroit vs spool

Anyone with a Detroit locker?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:08 AM

I think you have pretty much summed it up. Spools suck on the street and lockers are not really very good for drag racing. They are really for off-roading. You might call Randy's and see if they have a solution or for their suggestions. They know this stuff from front to back.

Unfortunately, you are not the first person to find out the hard way that spools and street use don't really go too well together.

Rich
Old 09-18-2006, 01:24 PM

I found it to turn around corners much better with slicks than street tires after going racing this week-end. I'm guessing you feel allot less of the tire "chatter" because of the softer compound. Maybe I will just get a set of nice soft drag radials for the street and live with it.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:35 PM

I will warn you that spools used on the street can and do break. But if you can tolerate it, they are not expensive or hard to replace.

Rich
Old 09-19-2006, 07:50 AM

I know it puts allot of stress on everything while turning on the street, but enough to actually break a spool?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:26 AM

Try to avoid lots of sharp turns.

Rich
Old 09-20-2006, 04:44 AM

I have run both. I used to run a spool and the sharp parking lot turns were very bad. The softer tire compound certainly helps as you have found out. I run a locker now and really dont have any substantial issues drag racing with it. I launch a 5000 RPM off a 2 step on my M6 car. It will hook as good as the spool did. The Locker is way better on the street and in parking lots but it's still not smooth like a clutch type posi. The car is very "twitchy" on the street with the locker and this can be annoying. Parking lots don't typicaly scrub the tires too bad but the locker action isn't smooth as butter so you'll get some whacky dynamics in the parking lots from the locker engaging and disengaging. Driving technique can reduce some of this ie, when making a sharp turn, do it with the clutch in so there's no power to the pinion. I'm a bit surprised you broke a 31 spline axle. That answers a question of mine. I was considering stepping back to a 31 spline Trutrack for street/strip duty. Now I'm concerned that system won't handle the track abuse.

Steve
Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 AM

Has anyone ever tried an air locker? I know they're popular for off-roaders, but wouldn't they work for a car that has to have a split personality (street/strip)?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:05 AM

Steve, thanks for the info, that was exactly what I was looking for. So it is a Detroit Locker that you are currently running correct?
As far as the 31 spline shafts, I am very surprised I broke one as well. They were Strange shafts too! Although I also launch the car at 5000 on the juice as well. Ever since I put a Mcleod Street Twin in, I have been breaking parts left and right. I actually broke a 31 spline posi carrier with it, not the clutches, the carrier itself cracked.
If only someone would come out with a soft-locker or posi for 35 spline 9". They do make them for 12-bolts and Dana-60's.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:08 PM

Jason,

Yep, mine is a Detroit Locker. Not surprised that the Street Twin started killing things. Same happened to me. The stiffer you make the driveline components and suspension, the more bad things happen to the rear. I blew up 12 bolts like popcorn for 4 years before I went to the 9". Now at least an fresh ring & pinion will last a season. By the end of a season even the 9" starts to howl like a wounded dog so I start out with a fresh set every year. This is life with a stick car I suppose.

Steve
Old 09-20-2006, 07:22 PM

If you weren't in Canada, I would offer you a trade. The shipping would likely be outrageous.

I have a 9" Detroit Locker, 4.11 gear, Strange aluminum center section for 35 spline. It has only 1000mi. on it. Just went to a bigger race only engine setup & need to swap to a spool.

The Detroit is pretty strong compared to a posi & would be my choice if not using a spool.

The unfortunate part of Air lockers is that they are essentially open (non-posi) if not locked. Supposedly there is a limited slip that has the air locker capability (read it in a truck magazine), but have no experience with them or specific availability.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:43 AM

Lonnie,
I do have an address in Michigan that I get all of my parts shipped to just in case we did make a trade. I will think about it.
Thanks, Jason.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:29 PM

Jason,
Drop me an e-mail at sales@lonniesperformance.com

Let me know what gears & centersection type & I'll return the info on the one here. It is actually for a friends car so I'll forward him the info.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:15 AM

Has anyone really tested an Air Locker to see if slider system can really take the abuse of stick car drag racing?? I've never seen them at the track and I'm a bit skeptical about the thin walled slider lock going to a million pieces.

Steve

Quick Reply: Detroit vs spool