Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch fork snapped

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Exclamation Clutch fork snapped

My clutch fork just snapped when starting the car the other day. I had it towed to a shop because I didn't have time to spend on in (DD) without knowing what exactly I was getting into.

Shop tells me today that I will need: new clutch kit, flywheel, slave cylinder, and fork -- all parts/labor will run me $865.

Now... if I needed all that work, that does seem like a fair price for parts/labor. But can a clutch fork going really cause all these problems? I have have magnified the problem by starting it and repeatedly pressing/releasing the clutch... I could hear grinding, but didn't sound too terrible.

From what I've read, clutch forks aren't really supposed to break - and this may be an indication of another problem clutch related -- in that case, is replacing advisable anyway?

Clutch is original, with about 135k miles on it. I've been really gentle on it...wish I wouldn't have been had I known this.

Thanks for any info!

EDIT: On another note...I guess whether it needs to or doesn't need to be done - now seems like the ideal time to do it all given the fact that it is all original and I plan on having this car for a while. My opti is original...so that's going to go soon too. What do you all think? (do I need all this and if not is it a good time regardless) Not sure what clutch kit exactly is ordered - just know it's a RAM.

Last edited by fredmr39; 04-25-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Re: Clutch fork snapped

Maybe I'm thinking of this in the wrong direction... a more likely scenario could be the pressure plate was messed up, causing the fork to snap - and that's why there are all these issues? Or maybe the throwout bearing bound up?

Last edited by fredmr39; 04-25-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:05 PM

With that many miles I would replace all that stuff while they are there. The slave could have been damaged when the fork broke if it extended too far. I don't know why they would replace the flywheel but it would at least need resurfacing when replacing the clutch. The fork may have broken just because of age.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback - found almost no info on the fork breaking in these cars. The threads I did find seem to mention that the issue only comes up about once a year.

I stopped by earlier and forgot to ask about the flywheel - he must have mentioned it assuming I would know he meant resurfacing... given overall price (and logic) that must be what he meant.

Thanks for the advice on the slave - that was one of the items I was really questioning if it needed replacement. I saw the clutch... it doesn't have much more life left, which is why he decided to go ahead and do the whole kit. I misinterpreted him on the phone - it sounded like he was implying that there was significantly more damage than the fork -- but really I think his conclusion was: the fork could have broken from age...but there might be other issues with the pressure plate or throwout bearing binding or who knows what -- clutch has 135k miles on it anyway...why not do it all while we're here. And I would agree with all that - so, it is what it is.

I guess I just wish if something were going to break...I always envisioned it as a 5800 RPM shift when a part bravely sacrificed itself.... not starting the damn car.

Last edited by fredmr39; 04-25-2011 at 07:44 PM.