Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch fork question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Clutch fork question

I got a question, is it possible to get the clutch fork off of the throwout bearing without unbolting the tranny?

See I just got a new clutch put in by this little shop on the corner, and now my clutch won't disengage properly. I also just put in a new master and slave cylinder myself and bled them properly. The old ones were shot. I verified the new ones are working correctly.

It won't go into gear with the car on. Ive got it rigged up for now, I took off that bracket that slides on the bellhousing before the slave, enabling me to bolt the slave down farther closer to the fork. Now it drives normal and goes into gear with it rigged like this, but it likes to slip if I get on the gas.

So I'm thinking maybe the clutch fork is on incorrectly? And if I could move it without dropping or unbolting the tranny that's be great.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:52 AM

I have had an issue like this before. It seemed there were 2 ways for the fork to go onto my clutch, 1 correct and 1 wrong. You can pull the fork off the throwout, through the access after you take off slave. In fact you cannot pull the tranny without doing this.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spiers
I also just put in a new master and slave cylinder myself and bled them properly. The old ones were shot. I verified the new ones are working correctly.
Mine new unit came already bled. How did you verify it was working correctly?

I took off that bracket that slides on the bellhousing before the slave, enabling me to bolt the slave down farther closer to the fork.
I'd like to see a picture of this.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:46 PM

My guess is that it's your hydraulics. You should put the spacer back on in front of the slave and while you are doing that pull the fork off the PP and slide it back on there. To answer your question, yes you can pull the fork off the TO bearing w/o unbolting the transmission and in fact that's the way you are suppose to do it. Remove fork then unbolt transmission.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM

I bought my slave and master separately from O'Reilly's. I know they are working correctly because we bled the hydraulics numerous times with no air, then my dad watched the slave while I pushed on the clutch pedal - a hair movement of the clutch and the rod on the slave was moving. I even tried yet another slave with the same results.

Sounds like the fork being on incorrectly is my problem. I don't know why you need a photo of the slave rigged like I have it but if you'd like one then I can. We'll re-do the fork and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 PM

Here's a pic of it rigged up...gonna mess with the fork tomorrow.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 AM

Wow, that is ghetto. The fork should just pull straight down without unbolting the tranny. When you engage it with the T/O bearing, shine a flashlight up there and make sure it seats right. Another problem you might have is the t-stud nut (what the fork pivots on) is backing off, and the fork is loose. Try looking up in there and see if that's what it is. Other than that, put it back together right. It could be the hydraulics, but I doubt it.