Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

B&M Ripper vs. Pro 5.0 vs. Hurst

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:15 AM

B&M Ripper vs. Pro 5.0 vs. Hurst

I'm sure this is probably an age old question but I couldn't find any threads on it.

for an m6 what do you guys use and what do you recommend? I haven't heard great things about hurst so its basically come down to the ripper or the pro 5.0.

Thanks in advance.

,Nick
Old 10-09-2005, 11:51 AM

Re: B&M Ripper vs. Pro 5.0 vs. Hurst

Hurst isnt a bad shifter..
I heard the Ripper shifter just outright sucks!
i got a Pro 5.0...hands down its the best

i drove cars a Kirban,SLP,Hurst,Ripper
Nothing compares to the Pro 5.0, Although the Kirban felt similar, i would rate it up there wit hthe Pro 5.0

With the Pro 5.0 you'll never miss 3rd gear again!
Old 10-09-2005, 07:14 PM

Ive always heard that the pro 5.0 is the best.

Hey bow94z,

Does the pro 5.0 make it so its not so easy to grind 2nd gear? Im not necissarily a good driver but i just cant shift my little bros ls1 fast without at least a little grinding. He does the same thing too.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jameslt1TA
Ive always heard that the pro 5.0 is the best.

Hey bow94z,

Does the pro 5.0 make it so its not so easy to grind 2nd gear? Im not necissarily a good driver but i just cant shift my little bros ls1 fast without at least a little grinding. He does the same thing too.
You can really slam it in gear without over extending shift forks because the shifter has adjustable stops..maybe your not pressing the clutch enough when you get some grinding going into second..i would invest in a Pro 5.0, to help the tranny from wearing out synrcos so fast
Old 10-09-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bow94z
Hurst isnt a bad shifter..
I heard the Ripper shifter just outright sucks!
i got a Pro 5.0...hands down its the best

i drove cars a Kirban,SLP,Hurst,Ripper
Nothing compares to the Pro 5.0, Although the Kirban felt similar, i would rate it up there wit hthe Pro 5.0

With the Pro 5.0 you'll never miss 3rd gear again!
So why exactly does the ripper outright suck, thats a bit harsh without posting facts. If your gonna flame please at least present an arguement.

I have the B&M ripper, it is built very sturdy out of heavy machined aluminum and stainless steel and pivots buttery smooth. It also has a front adjustable stop and a rear adjustable stop. When you power shift there is no risk of tranny damage cause the stops prevent excess travel and stop the stick with athority. Plus when shifting the feel is super rock solid, kind of like exotic European sports cars. The throw is very nice and the height of the stick is a few inches shorter than stock, no more feeling like your going to put your fist throught the radio during a hard 3rd gear change. It is also very easy to install. I bought mine in 97 and its held up under all conditions all these years.

I dont know anything about the PRO5.0 but if you put the B&M next to the Hurst the Hurst looks weak and fragile. Plus I dont think the Hurst has the adjustable stops. The 5.0 does look good from the pic I just saw.

Apparently the ripper has changed cause the one I have looks a lot different than these new ones. My old one I have is definitely beefier and more robust but I reckon the new ones should work just as well. I doubt you will go wrong with either the ripper or the 5.0.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
So why exactly does the ripper outright suck, thats a bit harsh without posting facts. If your gonna flame please at least present an arguement.

I have the B&M ripper, it is built very sturdy out of heavy machined aluminum and stainless steel and pivots buttery smooth. It also has a front adjustable stop and a rear adjustable stop. When you power shift there is no risk of tranny damage cause the stops prevent excess travel and stop the stick with athority. Plus when shifting the feel is super rock solid, kind of like exotic European sports cars. The throw is very nice and the height of the stick is a few inches shorter than stock, no more feeling like your going to put your fist throught the radio during a hard 3rd gear change. It is also very easy to install. I bought mine in 97 and its held up under all conditions all these years.

I dont know anything about the PRO5.0 but if you put the B&M next to the Hurst the Hurst looks weak and fragile. Plus I dont think the Hurst has the adjustable stops. The 5.0 does look good from the pic I just saw.

Apparently the ripper has changed cause the one I have looks a lot different than these new ones. My old one I have is definitely beefier and more robust but I reckon the new ones should work just as well. I doubt you will go wrong with either the ripper or the 5.0.
I wasnt a fan of the ripper...but so many flame the ripper shifter and says it outright sucks...its all about opinion..do some searching on here about the ripper, it doesnt get many good reviews
Old 10-09-2005, 10:09 PM

When I drove my M6 for about 3 weeks with the stock shifter after the M6 swap. I then installed a Pro 5.0 and love it, a very nicly machined unit that preforms very well. I'm happy with mine
Old 10-10-2005, 10:37 PM

I prefer the Pro 5.0, which is what I have. My roomate has the Ripper and he wishes he had my shifter. IMO, it's all personal preference, so if you have the chance to drive with one or both, that'll help make up your mind.

Ryan