Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

B&M Governor Recalibration Kit on 93 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:15 AM

B&M Governor Recalibration Kit on 93 tranny

I have a 1993 auto with a cam in it. The cam makes power up to 6200-6300 rpms..but the problem is my auto shift points cannot changed electronically. So I am stuck with the stock shift points, and leaving power on the table. Manual shifting the stock tranny sucks..unless you are very careful. I've almost had it from first to reverse!

Anyway, I came across this kit. It seems this would solve my problem.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...97&prmenbr=361

Anyone have experience with it? Would this accomplish what I am looking for? Pain in the *** to install?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:33 PM

Re: B&M Governor Recalibration Kit on 93 tranny

if you have no experience with auto trannies, get that one installed by a shop. looks like it would help you out, i have no personal note on them though, never used it.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by justnrt
if you have no experience with auto trannies, get that one installed by a shop. looks like it would help you out, i have no personal note on them though, never used it.
I have no auto experience. Wondering how much labor it would take to install it from a shop. Maybe a call to jegs would be in order. Hopefully someone on this site has some experience..as I am sure I am not the only one to be held back by this limitation.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:38 PM

if you're trying to recalibrate the governer it's not that difficult. simply pull the cover off, remove the governer, and follow the instructions from the kit. it'll take a few try's to get the weights/springs in there at work with your setup, but the results will be well worth it. i've done this many times. it's a level 4 difficulty on a 1-10 scale.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by chevy qc
if you're trying to recalibrate the governer it's not that difficult. simply pull the cover off, remove the governer, and follow the instructions from the kit. it'll take a few try's to get the weights/springs in there at work with your setup, but the results will be well worth it. i've done this many times. it's a level 4 difficulty on a 1-10 scale.
So recalibrate governor = change shift points? The internals of auto trannies is all new to me . If that is the case, can you give me a description of exactly how it works? Like what a governor does exactly, how the springs and weights work..etc. Kind of curious. And when you say it will take a few tries to get it to work..Does that mean I have to take my car out..try the new settings..see if its shifting where it should be..and if not..go through the process again?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:17 PM

in about the easiest way i can explain it, the lighter the weights and springs are, the higher it'll shift. heavy weights and light springs will make for quick part throttle shifting and higher wide open throttle shifting. light weights and stiff springs will make for higher part throttle shifting and and the higher wide open shifts. getting your wide open shifting where you want it is key, but you can also set how you like it at part throttle through the use of that kit.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 AM

in a 93 its not so easy to get the cover to the govenor valve off and the valve to actually slide out but it is possible, i've done it.

I would reccomend takeing a pry bar before you start and give yourself more room in the tranny tunnel.

Then unbolt the tranny cross memeber and lower the transmission on a jack so that it hangs down a bit.. remove the cover and the govenor valve will twist out. Its really easy.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:39 AM

i would have to agree. getting the cover on and off is the hardest part.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:46 AM

in about the easiest way i can explain it, the lighter the weights and springs are, the higher it'll shift. heavy weights and light springs will make for quick part throttle shifting and higher wide open throttle shifting. light weights and stiff springs will make for higher part throttle shifting and and the higher wide open shifts. getting your wide open shifting where you want it is key, but you can also set how you like it at part throttle through the use of that kit.
So there is one set of springs/weights for both WOT and part throttle shifting? So by changing my WOT shift points higher with a certain set of springs..is that automatically going to change my part throttle settings as well?

In this kit, do the instructions include details as to what the settings are in order to get it to shift at a certain RPM under WOT or part throttle? Or is this something that you are going to have to keep trying over and over again until its pretty close to being correct?

Last edited by vin1382; 06-20-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:36 PM

it's a trial and error deal.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:55 PM

it's a trial and error deal.

damnit. but thanks for the info. I think this is pretty much my only option for changing shift points though. I hate to see my car leaving power on the table because of the non-electronic tranny. I am most likely going to have my buddies shop do it. Hopefully its not ALOT of trial and error...